Wisconsin Snowmobiling | Teen Ink

Wisconsin Snowmobiling

By Tayler Elwood BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Tayler Elwood BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

Wisconsin is a wonderful state to be in. There are numerous activities to be involved in, in this wonderful state.  But one of the most popular activities that takes place during the winter months and is very enjoyable to a lot of people is snowmobiling.  It is a very popular activity or sport in the state of Wisconsin and many other states as well.  In this wonderful state, snowmobiling is more enjoyable than in most other states.  Do you wonder why this is. Well, a full explanation will be explained as you keep on reading.

Different than any other state, Wisconsin is a friendly place to be a part of the snowmobiling community.  People in this area are very kind when it comes to recreational activities. In this case, it would be snowmobiling.  On the many trails in Wisconsin, there are many rest stops, places for people to explore on their snowmobiling trips during the winter season.  Gas stations, parks, dams, restaurants, bars places are examples of these rest stops.  The people at these stops are the types of people that are caring. They are willing to help out if there is anything wrong with your sled or you as well.  The trails are marked well for what direction you should travel or whether there is some sort of caution to beware of that is not too far ahead of the signs.  Another wonderful trait most of the people have is that they can carrying on a conversation with you.  In this state, people are more than likely to have something in common with you, whether it is your job, or you live in the same town, or have the same hobby.  That is what makes this winter sport well worth it.  People that you meet on the trail is another big factor that can affect the sport, you know whether they are respecting the trail, staying on their side of the trail, telling how many people are with them so you know what’s to come a head.  This is so a collision doesn’t occur between the snowmobilers, it really affects the type of ride you have.  One little mistake or accident on the trail affects if you want to keep going out and ride over and over again.

The most wonderful part of the ride is the nice fresh groomed trails, through beautiful woods and open fields.  Here in Wisconsin we have a variety of trails.  In fact, Wisconsin has 25,000 acres of groomed trails.  If that isn’t enough variety for you then I don’t know what is.  My personal favorite trails are the open fields, where you can accelerate fast and fly over the hills in the fields, that’s what’s fun to me.  The lakes are another popular place to ride.  This is because you can go wide open throttle for a long ways.  People can just ride their sled to the lake, to ice fish instead of having to drive their vehicle out on the ice.  That is pretty convenient if you ask me.  There are lots of people that ride, every winter there are approximately 200,000 registered snowmobiles in Wisconsin that ride the trails

In Polk County, which is the county that I live in, there are about 350 acres of groomed trails and lots of places to stop along the way during the ride.  This is where I grew up riding, I learned to ride smart and safe as I got more experienced with the style of riding that I was adjusting to.  I have rode on trails in 3 different counties other than Polk County.  What I have learned from riding in different counties is the fact that these trails will take you anywhere that you need to go.  From what I have heard from people and my friends from all different parts of the state is that all of Wisconsin’s trails are this way and that is what I like, it is basically like a road system just instead of asphalt and cars its snow and a fun little machine called the snowmobile.  That is the greatest thing because they are the most fun vehicle to drive, but they are the most dangerous and that is the biggest and only downside to this sport. 

There are different brands and many different sizes of snowmobiles.  The four main brands are Polaris, Ski-doo, Arctic Cat, and Yamaha.  My personal favorite is Polaris, but at the moment I have are Arctic Cats which I don’t really mind.  But different people have different opinions or personal preferences.  For example, if you are more of a trail rider you would want to pick a sled with a better ride then others.  Polaris is known for its comfortable ride with its nice suspension systems. So more than likely you would buy a Polaris sled.  If you are a mountain or off trail rider, you would want a sled that has a strong suspension for the rough riding and also a sled with enough power to have it maneuver the way you want and get through the snow without doubt. Ski-doo is known for their tough suspensions, long track systems, and dependable motors with a lot of torque.  So that is the sled you would probably want for that style of riding.  Arctic cats have great acceleration, it helps you get out of certain situations when off trail riding, that is what I like about them.  Yamaha is known for their quiet sleds. This is because of the four-stroke motor that they run in their sleds which makes them extremely quiet, maybe even a little more powerful when it comes to riding.

Wisconsin has many wonderful activities to do and from this point of view, it is snowmobiling.  Snowmobiling is a wonderful activity to do in the winter.  It just makes you feel more alive and gives you something to do in the winter time instead of just sitting inside on the couch playing video games or watching TV.  Before you choose to do nothing on a winter day, consider snowmobiling and refer to this paper to help make your decision.

I have a strong passion for snowmobiling and I figured I would right about it