Editorial:Global Warming | Teen Ink

Editorial:Global Warming

By Lucas Rojas Rodriguez BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Lucas Rojas Rodriguez BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Global warming is becoming a problem in this world. With ice melting,sea levels rising, ozone levels decreasing, the world is becoming a harder place to live. Global warming is an increase of temperature in the Earth's atmosphere caused by the greenhouse effect. The greenhouse effect is the the trapping of the sun's warmth in a planet's lower atmosphere due to the greater “transparency” of the atmosphere to visible rays from the sun than to infrared radiation that gives off from the Earth's surface.

But there are people in this world who just wait around for other people to attempt to fix global warming and for everything to be normal. There are also people who don't believe global warming is real, and treat it as if it's nothing, these people use that as an excuse as a reason not to help, usually because they get lazy and don't feel like helping but it seems like they don't know that it's also their Earth, the planet we all live on. And probably the people you can blame for this is the government. They may send out commercials about stepping up and helping global warming or even, trying to recycle and helping the community. But what do they do? Nothing. In fact the only thing they help with, is making global warming more of a problem doing things such as drilling oil from under the sea, making new factories and many other things.But even the littlest things help. And the people who help do that, and more.

An example of this is the government, they could make an effort in making people use more natural energy in sunlight and wind, instead of using fossil fuels and digging for oil. This does bad things. An example of this is the oil spill in the gulf of mexico. It not only hurt thousands of animals. But it's the citizens that do things such as throwing recyclable things in the recycling bins. And as easy as it sounds, you can just plant a tree, it helps us breathe better and makes more places for animals to live.It seems as if even when they put a lot of effort into what they’re doing, it seems like it's for nothing because of the rest of people who keep on polluting and not caring.

You see, in this world, there are people who actually care about the world and choose to do something about it and others who start being lazy and don't, and there are even people *cough* goverment *cough* who manipulate people by sending out ads and such thinking they do something to fight the cause. So stand up, and make a difference.