Whaling needs to stop | Teen Ink

Whaling needs to stop

February 16, 2015
By Amc20 BRONZE, Hartland,, Wisconsin
Amc20 BRONZE, Hartland,, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Whaling needs to stop
Non-commercial whaling has the right to continue because whaling is a long standing tradition in many countries cultures, their resources are greatly needed by aboriginal tribes, and people should not interfere with other peoples cultures as long as it does not affect their life. Japan needs to stop killing whales and their relatives, dolphins. Since the ban on commercial whaling in 1986 over 1000 whales are still being killed by Japan, Norway, and Icelandic peoples.
Many tribes use whale meat for food, a tribe in the bahamas only kills 6 whales a year the meat can last up to 3 months at a time. The Makah tribe uses every part of the whale, the oil, meat, bones. This is a tradition for the Makah people, it has been for over 500 years. This is getting a lot of criticism for whaling. In an article written by Janet Williams, a senior correspondent for BBC in Seattle wrote “ A federal court judge has issued a temporary order preventing the Makah tribe of the Pacific North-West from hunting whales, in the latest salvo of the long-running battle pitting native Americans against environmentalists.” Some might think that just because Japan hunts whales for a tradition for over a thousand years. Japan has hunted some species of whaling to the point of them almost being extinct. The international whaling commision (IWC) allows whaling to continue, but only for traditional purposes. Whaling effects the many tribes that hunt them, the people use them for their own well being.
The ban on Japan’s commercial whaling has made of use different methods for getting whales. They have said to the IWC( International Whaling Commission) that they are killing whales for scientific research. This is not acceptable, the ban on Japan’s commercial whaling needs to continue. In a National Geographic article written by Jane J. Lee, she has a masters degree in biology.“Japan announced Thursday that it will restart its scientific whaling program next year in response to a new resolution adopted by the International Whaling Commission placing stricter regulations on scientific whaling.”As long as whaling is not done extensively on migration routes and in the countries waters, then the whaling of that country should not affect the rest of the worlds enjoyment of whales. This is not the case for Japan and what they’re doing when it comes to whaling.
  On the other hand dolphins are also killed commercially in Japan. Just this past year 1032 were killed in Taiji. In 2012 the same amount of dolphins were killed in Taiji. From the article, Japan’s dolphin hunt likely violates Japanese law, written by Stephen Messenger, a staff editor for Dodo, a site devoted to animals says that “ As Japanese officials continue to defend the ongoing slaughter of dolphins trapped in the famous Taiji cove, deflecting international criticism of the practice under guise of “ tradition”, one pesky detail has apparently been overlooked-- the dolphin hunt likely violates Japanese law.” The slaughtering of the dolphins also it’s very own risks, for example there is high amount of mercury in the meat. Along with the meat is sometimes labeled as whale meat, violating Japan’s food safety laws. Sakae Hemmi a spokeswoman for Elsa Nature Conservancy, a Japanese environmental protection group has said “ It’s a horrific way to kill them. Even if they let them go, the structure of the dolphin’s group is disrupted.” Also from the movie Backfish Dave Duffus said “ The whales have their own languages” along with a few others who said the same thing. And if one whale is taken out of a group the whole would be disrupted as well. The orca Tilikum is a prime example of this, he was taken from his mother in Iceland in 1983, soon after he was put to show. He was attacked by the more dominant females, and has killed three people. One of them being The killings of dolphins and the captivity of many other marine animals needs to stop.
In conclusion, commercial whaling needs to stop, along with killings of thousands of dolphins. The only reason whales will need to be killed are for tribal purposes, like food, oil, and bone.