Trashed | Teen Ink

Trashed

By Michael Allen BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
Michael Allen BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts

We’ve probably all done it at once. Some of us don’t even think about it when we do it. We litter. We “trash” the world around us like we own the planet. The truth is, the planet won’t survive at the rate that we’re constantly dumping gases and trash into the air and ocean. How can people live with themselves doing such harm to the world? Around 14 billion pounds of garbage is dumped into the ocean every year. As occupants on our planet, it is our duty to break this chain of pollution. It might not seem like much now, but in the future the world will be disgusting due to pollution. 5,000 people die every day as a result of drinking unclean water. Imagine what that number would be like 50 years from now if we keep polluting.

It is my personal belief that if you stand idly by and do nothing about the people polluting the world, then you are, in some ways, just as bad as them. There’s no such thing as an innocent bystander when it comes to the fate of the Earth. Do you drive your own car? Do your friends drive their own gas-operated vehicles? In a small part, you are contributing to the pollution of the air. If one of you could start a chain reaction, and convince people to go green, then the world could be a better place in the future. Every tiny change towards going green counts. Solar energy, electric cars, cleaning up polluted areas, recycling and reusing. It all counts towards the future of our Earth.

The world can become a better place. All it takes is a collection of small changes to make a major difference in the world. The world can become a better place for our future children. There is most definitely hope for humanity if people start to change their ways of living. The more and more people that stop polluting, the better and better our future becomes. It might not seem like our contributions make much of a difference in the world at first, but over time the small changes become larger changes to the world around us. The younger generations in our society today are the ones most affected by pollution. They’re also the ones that can make the most change to our future. Un-Trash the Earth.