Puppy Mills | Teen Ink

Puppy Mills

May 5, 2008
By Anonymous

Remember that fuzzy little puppy in the pet shop window. Ever wonder where its parents are? 99 percent of those cute little puppies you see in pet shops are from puppy mills. Puppy mills are small shacks the have metal cages stuffed with sick dogs. Puppy mills hold up to 75 dogs. They have no cooling or heating, so the dogs cook in the summer and freeze in the winter. The animals don’t interact with humans and are never let out of their small metal cages stuffed with dogs soiled with there own waist.

Puppy mills are legal, but what they do to the animals there is not. In the middle of the night the cruel people that own the puppy mills go out by the light of the moon and shoot the moms inhumanely that are too old or sick to have any more puppies. The bodies of the dogs are left in the dumpster or scattered on fields never to know what the word love means. If you buy from a pet store or online you probably are supporting what puppy mills do. If you what to save a dog from a puppy mill there are organizations that have dogs for adoption that were from a puppy mills that was shut down.

Dogs from puppy mills are unhealthy mentally and physically. The small wire cages also have wire floors. The dogs can lose their legs and feet because of the holes in the sharp wire. There is no vet care, so the wounds and diseases of the animals just spread. Mentally the dogs can get in fights just like humans. But the smaller weaker dog has no where to hide or run to.

Stop buying from pet shops and on line and start buying from your local shelter. If we all did this together we can stop puppy mills for good save the puppies that are part of this curl tradition.