Say No to Seaworld | Teen Ink

Say No to Seaworld

Going to SeaWorld as a little girl was amazing but is now a place I would never go again. I advise no one to pay money to SeaWorld’s cruelties. There are many issues with SeaWorld that many people are blind to. It is a cruel place that is basically torturing their animals, especially the killer whales. Killer whales are 20,000 pound animals that certainly do not belong in captivity. Places like SeaWorld are willing to pay millions of dollars to get whales taken out of the ocean and into their tanks for shows. The main issues in SeaWorld are the whale’s health, the attacks on humans, and the lies that told throughout the park to guests.

SeaWorld claims that they provide the whales with good living conditions but that is completely false. Any animal in captivity is going to live less than it would in their homeland, but SeaWorld refuses to acknowledge that. Nothing about the treatment the whales receive in captivity is good. First of all, they are trapped in a tank that would be equivalent to a human living in a bathtub! Killer whales in the ocean are said to swim up to 100 miles every day, this is impossible for whales in captivity when they are given such restricted space to live in. As stated in the film Blackfish, whales face many other health issues while in captivity like teeth decaying and a flopped over dorsal fin from lack of oxygen. According to OneGreenPlanet.com, some of the whales become irritable over time and attack the other whales around them which has resulted to death in many cases. The health issues the killer whales face in captivity are the main reason that they die so quickly. It is not only the whale’s health that is affected while they are in captivity, but the trainers around them as well.

Over the years there has been over 100 deaths caused by whales at SeaWorld. One whale who is still alive at SeaWorld today killed 3 trainers! According to SeaWorldofHurt.com whales are not violent animals when left in the ocean. There has been no reports of death caused by whales in the wild, so why so many at SeaWorld. Imagine sitting in a confined space doing little to nothing all day, it would drive you crazy and that’s exactly what it does to the whales. At some point the whales in captivity have a breaking point and attack whatever is closest to them, usually a trainer. This is due to the cruelties that they face every day in there little tank. SeaWorld advertises like it is taking such good care of the animals they own, but they do not. SeaWorld is full of lies and tells these lies every day to the tourists.

If you attend SeaWorld and ask questions almost everything they are telling you is a lie. So how is it possible that such a huge company can lie to all its tourists? When I attended the park one of the workers was asked how long the whales live, and there answer was that whales in captivity live longer than the ones in the ocean. This is completely false! The whales at SeaWorld only live to 30 if they are lucky when the whales in the ocean live to their 90’s! Also they lie about the whale’s health, saying that they are more healthy and better fed in the park then in the ocean, and this is also a complete lie! My question is why is a place like this still opened and why do so many people still pay to go see this torture?

Going to SeaWorld is now something I could never imagine doing again. The cruelties that go on there should make people never want to go again. Why would it seem okay to pay money to go see these whales suffer, and pay money to a company that knows what they are doing is wrong and harmful? Of course people want to see animals such as whales, but instead of paying the money to see them suffering at SeaWorld, you could pay to go on a whale watch and see them happy and free!

Works Cited
Blackfish. Dir. Gabriela Cowperthwaite. 2013. DVD.

Cronin, Aisling M. "Killer Whales Don’t Belong in Captivity –– Here’s Why." One Green Planet. One Green Planet, 7 Nov. 2013. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.

"8 Reasons Orcas Don't Belong at SeaWorld - SeaWorld of Hurt." SeaWorld of Hurt. Peta, 6 Oct. 2012. Web. 16 Nov. 2014.