What Does Sustainable Development Mean to Me? | Teen Ink

What Does Sustainable Development Mean to Me?

August 25, 2014
By T.Shetty BRONZE, London, Other
T.Shetty BRONZE, London, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sustainable development to me signifies the ability to make use of social opportunities in an environmentally friendly fashion without obliterating the potential economic benefits. In order to achieve sustainability as a society it is important that the cultural heritage and historical environment is preserved in order to maintain a sense of pride relating to our urban habitat which will act as a strong motivator in maintaining and looking after our surroundings for future generations to enjoy; thereby allowing the social and economic fabric of society to stand the test of time.

As a society a major emphasis should be placed on the ability to grow and preserve food in an environmentally friendly manner without diminishing the taste or quality. The use of chemical fertilizers must be prohibited in areas such as Thurrock where the risk of eutrophication, methemoglibonemia as well as the potential breakdown of local ecosystems due to the fertilizers' ability to alter endocrine and nervous systems in mice is self-defeating given the available advantages of organic farming. A holistic thinking approach is ideal in achieving sustainability in the farming sphere as an emphasis on future as well as mutual relationships between the ecosystem and the people is nurtured as there is a stress on creating an environmentally and economically fine environment for crops to thrive; in addition this is one that will be constantly monitored so that the approach acts as a mold that can be shaped by nature’s growing needs whilst being equally benefiting to the people. In addition I think it is important to consider what actually happens to the produce once it reaches your home. Popular preservatives in the UK such as Benzoate which prevent fats in food from going rancid as well as artificial sweeteners may result in hyperactivity and can affect estrogen levels and are therefore self-defeating and therefore unsustainable by negatively affecting the health of consumers. Instead in our daily lives we should aim to substitute our options with those that lead to long-term benefits and are renewable such as agar nectar, found from the Agava tequilana plant.

Additionally Himalayan pink crystal salt (a halite found 260 km from Lahore in the Salt Range) could be used to create salt lamps using a candle as a source of light. Instead of burning emissions in a power station to generate electricity the majority of disruption done to the environment is at Khewra Salt mine; as it is a natural resource the salt will have to be extracted in some form and the local Pakistani people are receiving increasing financial benefits in addition to the economic returns due to the popular tourist destination the mine has now become. Whilst one may argue that candles are not as long-lasting as bulbs using an aluminium foil to protect the wick or sprinkling a slight amount of sodium chloride with the wax can increase the time taken for the candle to burn by up to 17 times. In addition green roofs consisting of low growing perennials can be used to recycle and reuse rainwater for activities such as toilet flushing and car washing.

As humans it is also important that we are provided with a strong motivation in order to drive us to preserve our environment, taking inspiration from Curitiba more dilapidated areas in the UK such as Brick Lane in London should be offered incentives in order to preserve their environment along with a thorough education on why it is important to maintain the quality of the surroundings. For example in poorer regions travel vouchers on public transport can be provided to people who regularly recycle or have opted for water metering. In addition to making discrete yet effective changes to the routines of our daily lives it is important for the preservation of social fabric that we, as a community, nurture symbiotic relationships between different facets of society in order to fully benefit from the opportunities we may not be directly able to take advantage of. Community schemes and activities should be enforced which encourage such symbiotic equations for example in Cornwall, many sea-facing houses are presented to the view of a littered coast which is damaging to the environment as well as unpleasant. Families owning these houses could potentially organize a scheme with local fisherman who could clear the beach weekly and in return are provided with the opportunity to occasionally use the families’ environmentally friendly vehicles such as bicycles and scooters thus allowing for an exchange of culture and fostering a sense of community spirit. As a result it is important, that as a society we engage in symbiotic relationships between different classes as well as nature in order to achieve a stable environment and sound economy sewn together by a strong sense of community spirit enforced by being a part of the decisions made that shape and steer our lives in the right direction.