Pollute Your Shorts! | Teen Ink

Pollute Your Shorts!

By Rickyr BRONZE, Key Largo, Florida
Rickyr BRONZE, Key Largo, Florida

Throughout the years, The Diesel Industry, Automobile Industry, and any other Fuel-related Industry have relied on crude-oil-fuels to power their work. This is great for industrialization but the long term effects are what really matter. Burning Fuel pollutes the air we need to live and creates health and environmental problems. There are steps we can take to avoid utter planetary destruction but we need to act fast before its too late.

Most people aren’t aware of the exreme health risks that come with air pollution. Air Pollution can cause irritated eyes and throats and can make you break out in rashes. It is especially bad for those with asthma and can trigger an attack very easily. Today, nearly 30 million adults and children in the United States have been diagnosed with asthma. Asthma sufferers can be severely affected by air pollution. Air pollution can also aggravate health problems for the elderly and others with heart or respiratory diseases.

The environmental issues are just as bad. Toxic air pollutants and the chemicals that form acid rain and ground-level ozone can damage trees, crops, wildlife, lakes and other bodies of water. Other pollutants make their way up into the upper atmosphere, causing a thinning of the protective ozone layer. This has led to changes in the environment. Air pollution can affect how far you can see on the road and also affect aviation. That creates a bit of a risk for frequent flyers.

In order to stop this eminent doom, some countries, cities, and states have already taken action to reduce the amount of air pollution they put out. Italy origionally used anti-pollutant concrete to make a cleaner building. In Rome, there are building sructures that are coated with titanium dioxide that breathes in the pollution and cleans the air around the building. The substance works particularly well in sunny cities, since the conversion effect is strongest when UV exposure is at the maximum. So the sunnier it is, the more dramatic the smog-eating effects.

With all of this in mind, I’m sure you can see why we need to do something about the ongoing pollution problem. We can avoid certain health risks, prolong the lives of the elderly, save the planet life and ultimately make cities better places to live. After all, wouldn't you want the best future for the earth’s future?

I just care for the environment and the future of our planet.