Littering | Teen Ink

Littering

By havefun BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
havefun BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

When people litter, it hurts the environment . Even though some people think littering doesn’t affect our environment, garbage can kill animals and can cause health problems. Garbage can kill animals because some animals eat garbage. Garbage can kill humans because it attracts pests.

Trash can kill animals. When the wind blows, some trash move toward animals. Most animals think trash is food because of the smell. When trash is blown into the water some fish think shiny objects are food. Uncollected litter attracts more fish. Animals get stuck because of trash in their habitat. If they eat the trash, they could die by choking on it. This is one major reason why people should not litter .

The most important reason littering is terrible to do is because garbage affects others health. Trash left on streets attract mice, rats, and bugs. Those pests can carry diseases. Trash alone can cause health problems because it tells others this community is not cared for. Trash can and will harm you.

People litter because they don’t care for the environment. Another reason why people litter is because they have no respect for public areas. They think debris thrown on the ground by them will be picked up by maintenance. They are very lazy and foolish to do that. There shall be consequences for your actions when you decide to litter.

So you can see that although people think litter doesn’t affect our environment, garbage can cause health problems and it can kill animals. A possible way for people to stop littering is every week pick up debris in front of your house.

I wrote about this topic to show people that our environment is not safe to us or animals. We can do something about it if we reduce, reuse, and recycle.