Aboloshing | Teen Ink

Aboloshing

No animal deserves to be held in a steel cage for the rest of their life. Everyone visits their local zoos everyday to see wild animals while having the opportunity to educate themselves on animals. People are often filled with joy and eager to see these exotic animals but most don’t know the suffer, anger, pain, and helplessness these animal face. Imagine being abducted from your home and placed in a cell for the rest of your life being shown off to other people. Most would simply use the excuse, “it’s not happening to me so why does it matter”. No one understands the desperation that these animals feel except people who truly care .Zoos should be abolished and given an alternative.
There are many benefits for zoos such as saving a species, but the problems outweigh the good. First, animals are often known to be diagnosed with stress and boredom. Animals are stripped from their natural habitat to be placed in cages just to be shown off to the public. Also in many cases the cages or shelters the animals are placed in are extremely smaller than the amount of space the animal has adapted to. Another issue is by putting these animals in cages, there often known to be agitated which can lead to aggressive behavior. Also by taking these large amounts of animals to be placed in captivity, the males or females left behind have hard times finding mates so they can’t repopulate which can lead to endangerment (Lin, Arguments for and against zoos). On other cases, when zoos take in too many animals, they often over populate and kill off the UN needed animals (Lin, Arguments for and against zoos). There are many other issues with zoos but there are ways to fix the problem without directly sending all animals back to their natural habitat
There are wild life parks where the actual humans are placed in a cage and the animals approach them. This is a great way for people to encounter animals without them being in cages. Animals in these types of facilities are known to be happier and live longer lives. Also some of these animals come from circuses and have been mistreated while being alone. So often when placed with other animals they interact and make friends and become happier. Also people who visit these parks are acknowledged on the animals even better because the even closer up experience. All animals should be placed in these parks or back to their natural habitat.
There are many people who support zoos and I completely understand that. There are many benefits and good qualities for zoos and some are able to argue with the subject of abolish zoos. One might state that often zoos save endangered species or that by taking in sick or injured animals they can be taken care of (Lin, Arguments for and against zoos). Zoos often are a source of bringing people together (Lin, Arguments for and against zoos). Also zoos help animals grow healthy and they live long times usually. It’s also a great way to educate people on wild life animals (Lin, Arguments for and against zoos).
Everyone visiting zoos are educated, yes that’s a great benefit, but the cons of zoos blow out the pros of zoos. Animals are basically placed in a steel or glass cell to be shown off to the public. It’s like jail except they didn’t commit a crime and its wrong for us humans to do this. We should leave them alone just as they leave us alone. Zoos should be shut down and animals should be freed