The Impact of Climate Change | Teen Ink

The Impact of Climate Change

By AriBellaa SILVER, Kingstown, Other
AriBellaa SILVER, Kingstown, Other

It's Only Hard Work That Leads Unto Success

According to (Simpson, 1982) Temperature is defined as the degree or intensity of heat present in a substance or object, especially as expressed according to a comparative scale and shown by a thermometer or perceived by touch. Temperatures have risen during the last 30 years, and 2000 to 2009 was the warmest decade ever recorded. Greenhouse gases have been trapping more heat in the Earth's atmosphere over the past year; this has caused average temperatures to rise all over the world.

Global climate change has already shown observable effects on the environment. As the Earth warms up, heat waves are becoming more common in some places. Glaciers have shrunk, ice on rivers and lakes is breaking up earlier, plant and animal ranges have shifted and even trees are flowering sooner than they should. (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007) . Climate change will likely lead to more frequent and longer heat waves in the summer as well as less severe cold spells in the winter. The planet is warming, from North Pole to South Pole, and everywhere in between. The heat is not only melting glaciers and sea ice; it’s also shifting precipitation patterns and setting animals on the move.

These temperatures may cause drastic damage to the environment since some species such as the polar bears and the Adélie penguins may be left without any remaining viable habitat, putting much of our treasured wildlife at risk. Some of these species may be successful in their movements but others may not, this leaves a greater risk of them becoming extinct. (Impacts on Birds and Wildlife, 2009)
The increase in temperature may not only affect the cold climate but also the hot. Rapid temperature changes may also tend to cost forest fires which may have a very devastating impact on the lives of people and their homes. The rise in temperature is expected to increase the level of moisture that is evaporated from both land and water. This may cause the rain patterns to shift; moreover it may also lead to more frequent and severe droughts.As the climate continues to change, people will have to prepare for the risk of increasing wildfires by becoming more aware of the danger, taking extra precautions to prevent fires, not building in fire-prone areas, and being ready to manage fires when they do occur.

Not only can the rise in temperature cause problem such as droughts and coastline damage, climate change may also affect people's jobs and recreational sites and activities. For example places that are usually cold during the winter with the adding of warmer temperatures they may reduce activities such as skiing, snowshoeing, ice hockey and ice fishing. Not only so but instead of snow there may instead be a high level of rain. This in fact may not only affect these activities but also business owners of ski hotels, which may lead to an effect on the economy.

The rise in temperature is expected to increase the level of moisture that is evaporated from both land and water. This may cause the rain patterns to shift; moreover it may also lead to more frequent and severe droughts. Many parts of the world already have very little water, and climate change could make this problem worse. The rising of temperatures, the changing precipitation patterns, and increasing droughts will affect the amount of water in lakes, river, seas and all other known water bodies. Coastlines, the buildings and cities and people living around them are also threatened by the rise in temperatures. The rise of the sea level is likely to erode beaches. The cities that and islands such as Miami, Italy and Venice can flood more often and drastically if the sea level continue to rise.

The conditions for the growth of Coral reefs are a warm tropical climate, shallow yet clear waters, however as the water becomes warmer and more acidic the coral begins to bleach. It is evident that if these reefs begin to die the habitat for other sea creatures and their food patterns would be held largely at risk.

Warmer temperatures will most likely lead to hotter days and also more frequent and longer heat waves, the warmer the temperature also increases the unhealthy air and water pollutants. This could increase the number of heat-related illnesses such as Malaria and deaths especially to those are poor, very young or elderly, disabled, or those who live in coastal areas or big cities. Increases in the frequency of extreme weather events such as storms could increase the risk of dangerous flooding, high winds, and other direct threats to people and property (Greenpeace).Moreover Heat waves are uncomfortable for everyone, but for infants and young children, the elderly, and people who are already sick, they can be extremely dangerous. Excessive heat can also cause illnesses such as dehydration, heat stroke, and even death. It was recorded that a 2003 heat wave in Europe caused about 50,000 deaths and a 1995 heat wave in Chicago caused more than 600 deaths. In fact, there has been evidence to prove that heat waves cause more deaths in the United States every year than hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and earthquakes combined. (Frumkin, 2007)

The crops that we grow need specific conditions to thrive, including the right temperature and enough water. A changing climate could have both positive and negative effects on crops. For examples in places where there are cool temperatures, the warmer weather may help certain crops to grow where as in areas where the temperatures are already hot the more heat may damage the growth of the crops. (Climate change and health, 2010) Stated that “Climate change could make it too hot to grow certain crops, and droughts caused by climate change could reduce the amount of water made available for irrigation”. The heat waves are likely to also cause stronger storms and more flood which may damage the crops. Higher temperatures and changing rainfall patterns could help some kinds of weeds and pests to spread to new areas.

Climate change models predict significant climate effects throughout the region. Dry areas will become drier and wet areas will become wetter. Coastal storms will increase in frequency and intensity. The monsoon may transform in dramatic ways. This situation may be driven by many factors, including rapid population growth, urbanization, and economic growth. The likely social impacts of climate change include challenges to public health, increased population movement, the diminishing of state capacity, obstacles to development, and environmental damage.

The choices we make now and in the next few decades will determine how much the planet's temperature will rise. While we are not exactly sure how fast or how much the Earth's average temperature will rise, we know that if people keep adding greenhouse gases into the atmosphere at the current rate, the average temperature around the world could increase by about 4 to 12°F by the year 2100.