Cap & Trade: Friend or Enemy? | Teen Ink

Cap & Trade: Friend or Enemy?

By Nati07 BRONZE, Bogota, Other
Nati07 BRONZE, Bogota, Other

Cap & Trade: Friend or Enemy?

Many people are debating on weather carbon is polluting the earth or only helping it. I feel that most people have a misconception of the issues that are really going on with the use of carbon, like Cap and Trade.
Cap and Trade is a system that limits the amount of pollution companies can produce. Companies can sell and buy the permits from other companies who don’t need them. These companies usually don’t use it, but the permits are still given to them causing even more pollution. Since they don’t need to use carbon, they sell these permits to companies who need them, and those companies then use even more carbon than they used to. As you can see, these are some of the downfalls of Cap and Trade. On the other hand, Cap and Trade was made to help reduce the production of carbon with the purpose of helping the environment.
In my point of view, carbon is necessary for the earth, but too much carbon will only damage it. The atmosphere needs a balance, and carbon is necessary, but too much carbon will cause a misbalance in the atmosphere. Sure, factories produce carbon, and that is good, but too much carbon is being produced which only results in us damaging the world.
This is where Cap and Trade comes in. Cap and Trade was designed to help control the carbon being released into the air. As I explained before, even though the intentions of Cap and Trade are good, there are too many ways to go around and dodge the rules. I think that a system like Cap and Trade is important because it’s the only thing that has the power to control the amount of carbon that is released into the air. It is true that in some cases, the exact opposite of that is happening because the rules of cap and trade aren’t specific enough.
I believe that Cap and Trade needs to apply more specific rules to what they have now. Humans are not going to stop producing carbon, and why should we? It is necessary for our environment, but its true that we have to control the amount. Companies are taking advantage of the Cap and Trade rules, and that has to be addressed soon.
There are many debates about this situation as people have very different opinions. Some think that carbon shouldn’t be stopped at any rate because it is one of the bases of life. Some scientist’s think the exact opposite that there already is enough carbon and we don’t need to be producing any more. According to Cap and Trade, carbon release should be controlled, and I agree with that.
We cannot be extremists because neither one of them will get us anywhere. Forcing carbon production to halt to an end isn’t going to fix anything. Human’s still need to produce carbon, and that isn’t going to change. If they are forced to stop, we will all lose, as we will not be able to have many of the products that produce carbon when made (which are almost everything). Now, ignoring the fact that an excess of carbon is being released into the atmosphere won’t help either. We need to raise awareness of what is going on, and take steps to making it better. Carbon should still be produced, but specific commandments are necessary to control its quantity and keep the atmosphere healthy.

I wrote this piece to raise awareness in the issue of carbon footprints, and I hope people will be able to generate their own opinion on this issue including Cap & Trade after reading this piece.