Wake Up Government! | Teen Ink

Wake Up Government!

By AlphabetJ BRONZE, Bogotá, Other
AlphabetJ BRONZE, Bogotá, Other

In our english class, we’ve been looking at informations and videos about carbon and carbon dioxide. One video stated that carbon and carbon dioxide is very important and necessary to the earth, while on the other hand, the other video stated that the earth has too much carbon dioxide, and we need to reduce it. Also, it talked about a program called Cap and Trade.

Cap and Trade is a system that puts a limit on carbon production by having a global cap on yearly emissions. Many big businesses and companies do favor the Cap and Trade system. Politicians say that Cap and Trade program is made for reducing the amount of carbon dioxide while making a lot of money. However in my opinion, I don’t think it is used to decrease the amount of carbon dioxide. In fact, it increases the amount of carbon dioxide. I think this program won’t work, because nowadays, there are many cheating and foul plays going on in order to make money, not caring about saving the world or the main purpose of it.

Scientists have found out that carbon dioxide needs to be reduced by 80% in order for the climate not to change, and so thats why politicians came up with the Cap and Trade idea, which is basically trading carbon as I mentioned. However, I think that Cap and Trade is just a distraction and made only to help big businesses. For example, after the Cap and Trade program started in Europe, it got polluted more than before. This means that the polluters, polluted even more and got more money due to Cap and Trade program. I think it is unfair because the polluters should be punished, rather than earning more money than before. If the government doesn’t come up with a new idea of reducing carbon dioxide, a whole island could drown. To be specific, as the carbon dioxide level goes up in the earth, the sea level increases, which means that the ocean water will get deeper and deeper, so that it can drown a whole island.

Many citizens are trying to come up with a new idea of reducing the usage and the amount of carbon dioxide. With the great amount of money the companies have, they can make programs that actually work, not programs like Cap and Trade which is made only for money. I believe that the government should listen to the voices of the citizens too. From now, the government should come up with a idea that will actually work, making our earth a clean, better place to live.

So, I think the Cap and Trade program isn’t working at all and the government should really do something about it. They should make new programs that will actually benefit and reduce the amount of carbon dioxide.