Farm to Food | Teen Ink

Farm to Food

By MADavis ELITE, Kentland, Indiana
MADavis ELITE, Kentland, Indiana

“I will take you finest ribeye, cooked medium rare.” That’s what some of those rich city people say when they go and spend a lot of money at one of those fancy steak houses. But honestly, they don’t think about how the food got there on their plate. The truth is someone worked hard to get that food to the plate. “From farm to food” iIs what some farmers say when they talk about theirere job. No matter what kind of farmer you are, beef, dairy, sheep, hog, chicken, corn, soybean, or wheat,. tThey all contribute to getting that food to the table and feeding billions of people. Farming is probably the most important job in the world. No matter how big of a demand there is in the world for any other specific job, the world will always need food. And farmers will always be there to get the world the food it needs. Look around you, the population of the world is growing, and the amount of farmable land is going down. We have to make our farming more efficient and start making more out of less. That will be someone’s job someday. And it’s an important job.
Any job in agriculture is important. I am happy to say farming is the most important job . I am also proud to say I am part of it. I am still a teenager, but I have been learning how the industry works by working on my dad’s farm, being in FFA, and being in 4-H. Farming is a talent that takes time to master, very few people have learned how to be a successful farmer. Someone can’t just wake up one day and say, “I’m going to be a farmer.” It’s not possible. You need the background, the understanding, the smarts, dedication, and the guts to take the risk of handling millions of dollars per year, and possibly losing it all. I can only hope that the other farm kids around the world realize how vital they are to the world’s survival. And that they stay in the farming industry. Because we are going to need them.

Austin B.