Wasteful Water | Teen Ink

Wasteful Water MAG

By FarmerJoey BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
FarmerJoey BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Have you ever wondered where a bottle of water comes from, or where it goes when you are done with it? There are quite a few interesting facts about water you need to know. Like how plastic is recycled, if the water that you are drinking is coming from a reliable source, or if tap water is better. I think that bottled water is the most ridiculous invention on earth when you can get the same thing by turning on a tap.

Let's look how much bottled water costs. Water ranges from around $.89 up to $5. That is unbelievable, considering we are supposed to drink at least eight 8-ounce servings per day. Now, tap water costs about one cent per gallon. That means your bottle of water costs you 500 to 2,000 times more for the same thing. That's like paying $2,500 for a burger!

Not only is it expensive to drink bottle water, but it is very costly to recycle the materials. The United States uses 1,500 bottles of water every second. In the time it took to read this sentence, 6,000 more empty bottles were dumped into landfills. At one time bottled water was just a yuppy fad. Now we feel insecure if we don't have a bottle with us. Fossil fuel is used to make plastic water bottles – enough to gas about 1 million cars each year.

About 80 percent of bottles end up in landfills or are burned in incinerators. If you throw them in a recycling bin, where do they go? Some go to India into lower down cycling, only to get recycled again.

We must commit to take back the tap. Make a New Year's resolution to not use bottled water any more. ­Protect your wallet, the environment, and our natural ­resources with one small change.