Why "Environmentalists" Don't Know Too Much About The Environment | Teen Ink

Why "Environmentalists" Don't Know Too Much About The Environment

By p.scales BRONZE, Alpharetta, Georgia
p.scales BRONZE, Alpharetta, Georgia

Yes

Not a day goes by that the American public isn’t told of how they are contributing to the destruction of the environment and global warming. These accusations are often presented by and endorsed by celebrities or well-known public figures, and the ignorance of the American people leads them to believe what anyone of “importance” tells them to believ. The fact is that many of these statements are not based on concrete research. If someone were to do research on the topic of global warming or climate change, they would realize that the climate of the earth is cyclical; the earth warms and cools over time. By studying the history of the earth, we can determine that we are currently in an interglacial period, meaning that we are between glacial periods, more commonly known as ice ages. Evidence of this is found by studying ice core samples, which can be used to determine temperatures of the earth hundreds of thousands of years ago. These ice core samples have shown that the earth has been around its current temperature before in its past. According to history, the earth should experience another ice age in the not so distant future. The most aggravating issue to me is how companies will take advantage of the fear of climate change and environmental destruction by introducing new “green” products that provide benefits that are negligible in the realm of the entire planet. One example of this is the introduction of astronomically expensive hybrid vehicle, for instance the 2011 Cadillac Escalade hybrid costs about $10,000 more than the standard model, while only getting 6 more mpg’s city, a negligible amount of difference both in amount of money saved as well as the decrease in pollutants emitted. There is no question that there are more pollutants in the atmosphere than in the pre-industrial era. And there is also no question that these pollutants may create some sort of a green house effect, but the end change in temperature is miniscule when compared to global averages over the history of the earth.

Fluffy2772 said...
Fluffy2772, McDonough, Georgia

The earths natural cycle of climate change is controlled by greenhouse gases. Volcanoes add carbon into the air, live stock adds methane into the air, etc.

Now, knowing this, do you seriously not realize that buy adding additional greenhouse gases into the cycle that we are accelerating it? Since the industrial era, we have dramatically increased emmissions. You recognize that we have put these in the atmosphere, but do not want to account it as a factor of climate change?