Paper Does Grow on Trees

The magazine you read on the subway and just threw out. The dollar bill you handed the cashier. The grocery list you wrote today. The cereal box you put away a second ago. The homework you just did. The essay you just printed out. The plate you had your pizza on. The junk mail you received today. The book you read before you went to bed. It all is on the villainous substance: PAPER!

Paper is made from wood cellulose which comes from trees. Trees give off most of the oxygen in the air which humans and animals need to breathe. Already half the world’s forests have been cleared for paper. United States and Canada create the most paper in the world. In 2003 only 48.3% of that paper was recycled. The paper industry is the fourth to largest contributor to green house gases which cause global warming. Recycling one ton of paper saves seventeen trees. It also saves 463 gallons of oil, 587 pounds of air pollution and 3.06 cubic yards of landfill space. Best of all 87% of America’s population has curbside drop off paper recycling. So now why aren’t you recycling your paper?

Rory7 said...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm:
All in all it was a very good argument, and I am completely with you on the recycling, reducing green house gasses, and conserving our energy. I just think you could have argued a little bit more. Some people would argue that they are our resources why shouldnt we use them? Stuff like, that, but  it is a very well written, very important issue

skisoul96 replied...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm :
thanx:) and ya i agree i could have made it more detailed and more persuasive but i was actaully writing it for a contest that had a limited word amount so i didnt have the freedom as i writer which i love to have, you know write as much as you frikin want? but its a good idea nad maybe ill do a rewrite, maybe you can give me some more advice on some of my other pieces?

Rory7 replied...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 5:40 pm :
if you'd want my advice, i'd be glad to give it! and i know what you mean with the whole "you can only use 300 words" thing, i had to do that too, with a story, but i kept going over, and i really wished i didn't have that restriction. 

Destiny F. said...
I loved the way you brought this to approach, because this really is a serious matter so keep put this out there for people can acknowledge their actions.

skisoul96 replied...
Dec. 22, 2010 at 8:02 pm :
thanx, it was the affect i wanted. i wanted people to read and say "oops" and "yeah, i do that" and "gotta stop doing that". then they see why its soooo bad b/c the facts are right there staring them in the face and they can't say they don't do anything bad since they just admitted they did. it makes people feel guiltier than if I had just said "trees make oxygen and you need it so dont waste paper!" thanx for noticing cuz that was exactly what i had in mind. check out some of my&... (more »)

ThatClarinetPersonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It's also important to think about where the trees for the paper come from. The last temperate rainforest?

miriam1996 said...
 wow this is so persuadsive, good job on standing up and strtching your convincing voice to others.! amazing

doubleblacklover replied...
Nov. 30, 2010 at 8:26 pm :
yeah, you'd know... remember our skit in Mrs. Z's class with Al Gore and Tarzan! Still laughing about that... miss you soooo much and thanks for you comment! BTW this was in the yearbook.

ceezee said...
loooooooooveeeee the intro!!!!!! :) and fiiine... the topic too... :) al gore's def on ur side!!!! :) and tarzan too!!!

doubleblacklover replied...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 7:06 pm :
LOL, tarzan! BTW this was in the yearbook. Keep checking this out and maybe more will be up. Surprised you liked the topic, though! Thanks for your support, you've been there all along! Miss ya...

estybesty said...
wow alti this is so you, its like your future work-it should totally get published.

oreocookie826 replied...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 6:35 pm :
wowww this is amazing!!!!!! if it gets published a bill. ppl would buy it, forsure!!!!!!!!