Environment | Teen Ink

Environment

By maddy--lars BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
maddy--lars BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

Our Planet is an important place and we should treat it with great respect. We have all done it... Litter. It is so easy to throw our gum wrapper or dirty napkin on the ground and let it flop away in the wind. We know it is wrong but people do it anyway. We don’t realize how much we do it until we are faced with it. Littering is so bad for the earth. It makes it look sad and dirty and it takes longer for things to biodegrade or disappears.

Every time we throw our trash out the window of our car or anywhere, it makes our world a dirty place. We all say how beautiful this earth is but we don’t appreciate it enough to just put the trash where it goes. It is beautiful as long as we keep it that way and clean up the messes we have made. I did a community service project thins summer and picked up trash along the highway. It was unbelievable how much stuff we found. We found anything from cigarette buds to cans and plastic. It was gross but shocking to see. We were even by a few trashcans and saw trash on the ground a few yards away! It just shows how lazy and careless we are.

We all want to make our planet last forever because without it, there would be none of us. When we throw things out that could have been reused or recycled, it just makes it harder for the earth to stay a healthy place. Some things that were thrown on the ground could have been recycled but instead, they were slowly decomposing into the ground and ruining the soils. If it was put in a recycling bin, it would have been remade and used again or it would have been made into something new and useful.

We can save so much of earth by making it look better and keeping it clean and putting things where they belong if we don’t litter. We will make the earth last so much longer if we all work together to put in that extra effort and do the right thing. It may be a reach to walk that extra few feet to the trashcan, but it is worth it. We could use the exercise too!

KaylaKatie said...
A very good essay which affects a lot of people

horsegirl27 GOLD, Los Angeles, California

A dog comes when called; a cat takes a message and gets back to you

:) good job