Fuel Efficiency in Car | Teen Ink

Fuel Efficiency in Car

By godokaroly BRONZE, 75205, Texas
godokaroly BRONZE, 75205, Texas

Cars in this country are one of the largest single sources of C02. CO2 is the heat-trapping gas scientists believe is the major cause of the greenhouse effect that threatens to raise global temperatures up to nine degrees in the next century. It will be good to make more fuel efficient cars because in this bad economy consumers cannot be wasting all of their hard earned money on gas and cars that get less than fifteen miles to the gallon. Inefficient cars are also bad for the environment. Car exhaust has a negative effect on the environment and adds to the acid rain that is killing lakes and streams.

Erik Lechtenberg bought a 2007 Toyota Prius. He has this to say: “I used to drive a Chevy Tahoe. I miss the size and storage space of my truck, but the fact that I pay ¾ less money for gas makes all the difference.”

In America car culture we need to make a more fuel efficient car that is just like the cars we have now so people aren't missing out on anything. 2010 manufacturuer's are making more fuel-effiecient cars. They are a mix between electric and hybrid vehicles. An electric car runs entirely on batteries, and a hybrid runs on a combination of small electric and gasoline motors. There is a growing customer base for them, but a combination of slightly higher prices, lack of manufacturing capacity and because hybrids are unfamiliar not as many people are buying them. They are about the same size and the same price but the difference is the newer cars are getting 40-plus miles to the gallon. Saturn, Chevrolet, Toyota, Honda and BMW have already started their more fuel efficient car lines. The electric cars all average about 70 miles a charge and the gas hybrids twice that.

From a consumer standpoint, my Dad's friend bought a Toyota Prius. He says that it's great because it's efficiency makes gas less expensive. It gets 51 mpg highway and 48 city. It's good money wise long term for him, too. Maintenance and state/federal charges will stay the same, but fuel expenses go down saving money over the life of the car.

There are downsides to buying fuel-efficient cars. Some people complain that because of their small size they are unsafe and that because they are so new people who buy ones now will be feeling cheated when better models come out in a few years. Even though the cars themselves are more efficient they still use gasoline and electricity – which have to be produced. So they still use energy, just less of it. They are not a cure-all for the environment. In a country like America where everybody drives, there is something called economy of scale. It's where if American's cars were 25% more efficient, instead of 50% more efficient ;just because of the numbers of drivers total emissions would decrease more than a country's more than half America's size. So minor efficency on a large scale. Jennifer Kennedy bought a 2009 Lexus Hybrid: She says: “The Lexus quality is still there. The gas costs less, and it took a little while to get used to the way the engines work together to accelerate but overall I got used to it and am happy with it. helps. Back to the cars. If American drivers are willing to let go of the car culture and move towards smaller, more efficient cars a large global impact can be made on greenhouse gas emissions.
“Daniel Turet” bought a 2010 Mercedes CLK series hybrid. He says that he “misses the towing power and the quick acceleration at highway speeds.” He complains that the torque he was used to at low speeds isn't available from the electric motor.

This paper was written to persuade you into buying a more fuel efficient car for three reasons. Two are immediate. one is that it saves you money. Two is that you would help in rebuilding the American auto industry. The third reason is long term, to help the environment.