Me, The Vegetarian | Teen Ink

Me, The Vegetarian

By Nicoleyoley SILVER, Lexington, Kentucky
Nicoleyoley SILVER, Lexington, Kentucky

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Suess

Its almost weekly that I have someone asking me why I’m a vegetarian. Or worse- criticizing me because I am one and saying that meat is the best thing in the world. If you’re a vegetarian, you know what I mean. You constantly wish people would get off your back about doing something good. If you’re not a vegetarian, you don’t know half of the story of how that steak got on your plate.

But I’m going to tell you. I’m going to tell you why I chose to become a vegetarian. It all starts a couple years back when I was playing games online with my brother. He found a game called “The Super Chick Sisters”. At first it looked cute, with the little baby chick cartoon characters that looked like versions of Mario and Luigi. But then we found out what the game really meant.

The chicks were battling and going on missions to save themselves and other chickens from evil Colonel Sanders of K.F.C. I’d never heard anything bad or wrong about K.F.C until then, in fact Kentucky Fried Chicken was almost a staple in my life, since I live in Kentucky. I didn’t eat it too often, but I’d never had anything against it and it was a treat when I did get to have it.

But seeing the animations of chickens being scalded in boiling hot water and K.F.C employees pulling their beaks off, I knew I had some research to do. So I first went to the website where the game originated, www.KentuckyFriedCruelty.com. All I can say is that it was horrifying and it made me never want to eat meat again. It also made me officially hate Colonel Sanders and everything having to do with him.

Now, of course, since I don’t work at K.F.C chicken farms, I wouldn’t know if all the rumors are true about their animal abuse. But pictures on the website gave me all the proof I needed to be against K.F.C. But you’re probably thinking, “Who cares if the chickens are abused? We’re going to eat them either way.” But that’s exactly the point. Nobody cares. In my point of view, God put these animals on earth to live with us in harmony, and its insulting to abuse something that he gave to us out of his own will.

If people really cared, they would at least kill animals in a nicer way. I know that sounds bad, but if companies would stop overfeeding animals, not giving them enough space to live, and doing other terrible things, they would become better people, their meat would taste better, more people would want to buy their products, and they would be more successful.

But I’m a vegetarian because I don’t want to eat animals period. If you want to become a vegetarian, but you say that you could never give up meat because its too good, then you’re acting like an 8 year old (literally, my brother says exactly that) and you don’t really want to become a vegetarian. Heck, being one isn’t even that bad.

The pluses are, you get to taste new foods like tofu and other meat substitutes. You might just like them better than you thought you would. Also, you know that you’re doing the right thing and helping the earth. Not to mention, being a vegetarian and buying organic might just help you lose a few pounds and stay healthier every day. So take my challenge.

Here’s the plan, for one week, promise that you won’t eat meat (this doesn’t include dairy products like eggs, milk, and cheese or seafood like fish, shrimp, etc.). During that week, go to the grocery store and look for some meat substitutes that look good to you. Some of my favorites are the Morning Star products and Boca Chicken Patties (these taste AMAZING fried). Also look for some foods that you normally buy in organic- like eggs and milk.

Once the week is over (a full 7 days), see how you liked going vegetarian. Was it hard, easy, did you slip and eat meat because you were tempted? If you did, go another week. When you’ve finally completed your challenge, choose whether you want to be a vegetarian. It might be hard at first, but after a while, it comes naturally. If you can’t become a vegetarian because of health reasons, pick a week a month to give up meat. You could help save cows, chickens, pigs, and other farm animals around America.

So now you’ve heard my story about being a vegetarian. No matter how macho you are now, or more likely, how macho you think you are, going veg will make you even more macho, even though it doesn’t seem like it. So try it today. You might just find out that saving the environment, being a better person of God, and staying healthier is even better than it sounds.

I hope people will consider going vegetarian or trying to help the environment from this article.

WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. –Josh Billings

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.- George Carlin

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Realjay41 DIAMOND, Culpeper , Virginia
No thanks! I love Chopltle and I'm a whatever you call someone who is gluten free. So, thanks for the offer; but I have to say no.

Iamagingersonowyoursoulisgone BRONZE, Highland Park, New Jersey
Going vegan! I could most definitely relate, people asking constantly around every corner. I should just carry around a prewritten speech about it and read it whenever someone annoys me. The most annoying thing someone said to me is "Are you one of those vegans who tries to convert everyone?" Uh, no. you want me to convert you? And also, people always desperately try to justify themselves eating meat. There's no need! I've heard "Oh, I've tried but then my mom made bacon..." so much it's bad. I used to love eating meat! I took baby steps: Red meat, meat, and then animal products. Now I can't think of putting meat in my mouth without being repulsed. 6 years now with no meat whatsoever! I'm going vegan and I MISS CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE SAVE MEEEEEE! Giving up things you love is hard. Allergies exist, and don't put yourself in danger. Always get proper nutrition no matter what but make sure you know what happened to the things you're putting in your mouth.

Amanda Tonks BRONZE, Draper, Utah
I know how you feel. My boyfriend could probably eat an entire barnyard in one sitting! It's not necessarily eating meat that I have a problem with, it's how terrible the meat industry is in their care and production of animals. To the point where 1 billion animals are raised every year, solely for the means of consumption. . . You think that people would start to be a bit concerned! What started out as a side dish has become the main entree for almost every meal. It's part of the reason why there's an obesity epidemic and why my darling little sister is round and considers herself a carnivore. I'd even suggest doing some more research into the meat industry because it truly is fascinating and adding some facts in your paper can make it even more convincing. Logos is always a great way of swaying people! Be careful with the ending because it can be taken the wrong way. I know plenty of people who are wonderful but just don't share the same concerns about meat as I do. I love your writing though and thank you for putting this out there for more people to see it!

hollandpiggy BRONZE, Holland, Texas

Did you try?

I agree with you, To good2013. Most cartoons are very much exaggerated to the point of almost being completely false. You have a good stance, but I must say that I am always around meat whether it be cooking it or raising it (with more than enough room) so I am going to NOT take the challenge... Sorry...

treegirl93 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

Be nice to trees- they'll become books someday.

I'm vegetarian. This is my 3rd year. I appreciate you sticking up for us out there. I do hope though that when someone says something offensive to you or asks rudley why you don't eat meat that you will answer calmly and tell them the facts. I know from experience if you talk at someone they will never listen but if you talk to someone without raising your voice something might get achieved. I have lost many aquintances by talking at people but i have educated a good number. keep fighting for what you believe in but just go about it in an non agressive way.

To good2013 said...
Wouldn't you know that most cartoons are fake and or exaggerated. Your article is great and I respect your opinion. I just don't think you should hate the guy.

fortheloveofwriting GOLD, A Place, Oklahoma

"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~Pablo Picasso

Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
1 Corinthians 13:4
A man's ways are his own, but the LORD weighs the heart.

I went to the site; I have never been more glad to be a vegetarian, and i am now sure, more than ever, that I always will be. Those slaughterhouses need glass walls.

~Pablo Picasso

1 Corinthians 13:4

Thank you! I'm so glad SOMEONE understands me. There are over 500 kids at my school, and I've only heard of one other vegetarian. In fact, just the other day, my teacher asked me if I ate the thanksgiving dinner at the school, and that's when he found out I didn't eat meat. He started saying, " You don't know what you're missing.. and you know how I like my steak?"

Um, no, and I don't care.

Okay, that sounds harsh, but you can understand that it gets so annoying that people are always asking why I'm a vegetarian and ' you don't know what you're missing.'

Thanks for everything you wrote.