Yes, We Should Ban the Keeping Of Animals In Zoos

Several years ago, the Woburn Safari Park in Bedfordshire, England admitted to killing excess monkeys. The park said that it cost too much to continue to feed the monkeys, so the animals were shot and left to die.

This is just one of the many cases in which animals are mistreated, murdered, and malnourished by humans. Animals should be able to live life in natural environments without any negative influences by humans.

The first reason zoos should be banned is because of the fact that malnutrition, mistreatment, and murder (the three m's) is becoming more and more popular in zoos worldwide. From China to Detroit, animals are not being treated the way animals should be treated. In fact, some animals are not even getting a chance at life. In 2007, the IDA (In Defense of Animals) came out with a top ten list of the worst places for an elephant to go. All ten of the American zoos have had elephants die prematurely there. This is because of mistreatment of animals (improper diet, lack of exercise, unsuitable living conditions, etc.).

Another example of mistreatment in zoos is illegal substances being made from animals. A tiger bone wine, banned in 1993, has been sold on the Chinese black market for several years now. Illegal transactions like this are very easy because of vets at the zoos.

The third reason zoos should be illegal is because they can give visitors the wrong idea about animals. Animals will behave differently in the wild then they will in a closed area. For example, animals in the wild are not given food through a slot in the door. Also, animals in captivity are tamer than animals in the wild, so if someone came across an animal in the wild, they may think it is safe to approach the animal when it is not. People could easily get hurt.

The final reason zoos should be banned is that it is just not morally correct. Humans are animals too. What if animals got smart and decided to capture humans and put them in zoos? Humans, if given the option, would probably choose to be free rather than be gawked at all day.

So in order to keep the circle of life and continue to have animals be a part of the world, humans must take basic steps to maintain the delicate balance between man and beast.

LinnyJ said...
today at 11:03 am
I so agree with you! Zoo's do have the potential of preserving endangered species but they aren't right! If anything there should be special areas for endangered species to revive their population but other than that I think the other animals should be set free! How can we say we're helping them when we're keeping them in cages and making them lazy? People don't think about how this impacts the enviroment.

Bobby said...
Sep. 21 at 4:38 am
zoos can preserve animals

Dab_on_em said...
May 5 at 10:57 am
I agree they should ban the zoo because they dont wanna be locked in a cage all day long walking around in circles.

Bobby replied...
Sep. 21 at 4:42 am
i agree dab

gremlinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 10 at 10:01 am
i agree however, if it werent for zoos many different species of animals would be extinct. by putting some of these in the zoos we can preserve them and hopefully get their numbers back up enough to let them back into the wild

ElleaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 23 at 5:33 pm
Good point!

CHICKEN LEGS! said...
Jan. 28 at 4:53 pm
I think animals are wonderful!!!

Shany_Liv said...
Apr. 19, 2015 at 5:13 am
I like that, "gawked". It is such a lazy life for animals in zoos.. My only agreement with it is that maybe - though I think there are better ways to do it - it might educate people to an extent about animals. So many people live in cities, and may never interact with any true wildlife, but we are animals ourselves, and we need to accept that we share this planet. Great job expressing your opinions. If anything, a little more detail on your evidence (i.e. the monkeys that were done away with) wo... (more »)

Clinton C. said...
Mar. 26, 2015 at 10:52 am
Zoo's should not be banned but perhaps they should be limited to what kind of animals they have, one purpose of a zoo is to keep endangered animals safe and fed and usually those animals are in top notch, high priority zoos like toledo zoo and others of the same ranking. The way i see it is that zoos are not the fault of animal sickness or animal deaths in the zoos its the unprofessional workers who dont feed them and when confronted for it they give an excuse or lie either about the animals "at... (more »)

luthfi said...
This is an amazing essay

SaraElizabethThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It honestly depends on the zoo. Some have well-designed enclosures for their animals, and do amazing things for animals whom are endangered, or those who would never survive In the wild on their own. I grew up going to a well known zoo in my city and I've seen some of the great things they've done for helpless animals.

replied...
Mar. 9, 2015 at 12:30 am
I still think that animals should be kept out of places like this unless they are really hurt

replied...
Mar. 9, 2015 at 12:30 am

replied...
Mar. 9, 2015 at 12:30 am

swaaaggeerr said...
Oct. 10, 2014 at 12:50 am
thanks for sharing this you deserve a medal

koolio said...
thank u so much for this! whe are doing an essay on why zoos should not be banned but we need to show we are not biased when typing it up, so therefore i need some disadvantages of the zoo. tthis has really helped  :3

zoeboepoe said...
i love this article! lol at the bottom tho it says "Free zoo coupons!"

shajeel said...
i agree animals should not be kept in zoos

BanZoos666 said...
Hi, we are having a debate if zoos should be banned. I would like to know your opinion. Thanks!

Sshsjs replied...
No one cares what u ask