Yes, We Should Ban the Keeping Of Animals In Zoos

Several years ago, the Woburn Safari Park in Bedfordshire, England admitted to killing excess monkeys. The park said that it cost too much to continue to feed the monkeys, so the animals were shot and left to die.

This is just one of the many cases in which animals are mistreated, murdered, and malnourished by humans. Animals should be able to live life in natural environments without any negative influences by humans.

The first reason zoos should be banned is because of the fact that malnutrition, mistreatment, and murder (the three m's) is becoming more and more popular in zoos worldwide. From China to Detroit, animals are not being treated the way animals should be treated. In fact, some animals are not even getting a chance at life. In 2007, the IDA (In Defense of Animals) came out with a top ten list of the worst places for an elephant to go. All ten of the American zoos have had elephants die prematurely there. This is because of mistreatment of animals (improper diet, lack of exercise, unsuitable living conditions, etc.).

Another example of mistreatment in zoos is illegal substances being made from animals. A tiger bone wine, banned in 1993, has been sold on the Chinese black market for several years now. Illegal transactions like this are very easy because of vets at the zoos.

The third reason zoos should be illegal is because they can give visitors the wrong idea about animals. Animals will behave differently in the wild then they will in a closed area. For example, animals in the wild are not given food through a slot in the door. Also, animals in captivity are tamer than animals in the wild, so if someone came across an animal in the wild, they may think it is safe to approach the animal when it is not. People could easily get hurt.

The final reason zoos should be banned is that it is just not morally correct. Humans are animals too. What if animals got smart and decided to capture humans and put them in zoos? Humans, if given the option, would probably choose to be free rather than be gawked at all day.

So in order to keep the circle of life and continue to have animals be a part of the world, humans must take basic steps to maintain the delicate balance between man and beast.

Shany_Liv said...
today at 5:13 am
I like that, "gawked". It is such a lazy life for animals in zoos.. My only agreement with it is that maybe - though I think there are better ways to do it - it might educate people to an extent about animals. So many people live in cities, and may never interact with any true wildlife, but we are animals ourselves, and we need to accept that we share this planet. Great job expressing your opinions. If anything, a little more detail on your evidence (i.e. the monkeys that were done away with) wo... (more »)

Clinton C. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 26 at 10:52 am
Zoo's should not be banned but perhaps they should be limited to what kind of animals they have, one purpose of a zoo is to keep endangered animals safe and fed and usually those animals are in top notch, high priority zoos like toledo zoo and others of the same ranking. The way i see it is that zoos are not the fault of animal sickness or animal deaths in the zoos its the unprofessional workers who dont feed them and when confronted for it they give an excuse or lie either about the animals "at... (more »)

luthfi said...
Mar. 14 at 8:43 pm
This is an amazing essay

SaraElizabethThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 4 at 12:18 pm
It honestly depends on the zoo. Some have well-designed enclosures for their animals, and do amazing things for animals whom are endangered, or those who would never survive In the wild on their own. I grew up going to a well known zoo in my city and I've seen some of the great things they've done for helpless animals.

replied...
Mar. 9 at 12:30 am
I still think that animals should be kept out of places like this unless they are really hurt

replied...
Mar. 9 at 12:30 am

replied...
Mar. 9 at 12:30 am

swaaaggeerr said...
Oct. 10, 2014 at 12:50 am
thanks for sharing this you deserve a medal

koolio said...
thank u so much for this! whe are doing an essay on why zoos should not be banned but we need to show we are not biased when typing it up, so therefore i need some disadvantages of the zoo. tthis has really helped  :3

zoeboepoe said...
i love this article! lol at the bottom tho it says "Free zoo coupons!"

shajeel said...
i agree animals should not be kept in zoos

BanZoos666 said...
Hi, we are having a debate if zoos should be banned. I would like to know your opinion. Thanks!

Sshsjs replied...
No one cares what u ask

monkey said...
Jan. 28, 2014 at 7:46 am
the only reason the monkeys where culled is because they had a disease that was potentially deadly to humans

Luke said...
it was good but didnt have a good conclusion, and I really liked the begining, not that they were shot but, you had a good introduction.  =)

6261jk said...
hey well this was a well written article but u should know somethings i am having a dabate right in school if we are going to keep or bann zoos and i am a con so ya and u need to make sure u know all of ur info before posting but thank u so much this website did help me alot thanx 

lauren said...
There are some very valid points in this essay, and my grade 8 class is currently having an assignment dedicated to creating essays involving forclosures of zoos. Truly, this was a well written essay but when trying to convince someone that zoos are bad, make sure you know that all your information is 100% accurate. For example at woburn safari zoo they did shoot and kill monkeys, but this was because they were carrying diseases deadly to humans (simian Herpes B virus) But in all fairness, this ... (more »)

notmybuisness said...
May 14, 2013 at 3:44 am
good job i really enjoyed this essy

harborlights replied...
Thank you!

loser263 said...
May 7, 2013 at 3:03 am
animals donot deserve this wrong treatment and i cant see this happen again