Yes, We Should Ban the Keeping Of Animals In Zoos

Several years ago, the Woburn Safari Park in Bedfordshire, England admitted to killing excess monkeys. The park said that it cost too much to continue to feed the monkeys, so the animals were shot and left to die.

This is just one of the many cases in which animals are mistreated, murdered, and malnourished by humans. Animals should be able to live life in natural environments without any negative influences by humans.

The first reason zoos should be banned is because of the fact that malnutrition, mistreatment, and murder (the three m's) is becoming more and more popular in zoos worldwide. From China to Detroit, animals are not being treated the way animals should be treated. In fact, some animals are not even getting a chance at life. In 2007, the IDA (In Defense of Animals) came out with a top ten list of the worst places for an elephant to go. All ten of the American zoos have had elephants die prematurely there. This is because of mistreatment of animals (improper diet, lack of exercise, unsuitable living conditions, etc.).

Another example of mistreatment in zoos is illegal substances being made from animals. A tiger bone wine, banned in 1993, has been sold on the Chinese black market for several years now. Illegal transactions like this are very easy because of vets at the zoos.

The third reason zoos should be illegal is because they can give visitors the wrong idea about animals. Animals will behave differently in the wild then they will in a closed area. For example, animals in the wild are not given food through a slot in the door. Also, animals in captivity are tamer than animals in the wild, so if someone came across an animal in the wild, they may think it is safe to approach the animal when it is not. People could easily get hurt.

The final reason zoos should be banned is that it is just not morally correct. Humans are animals too. What if animals got smart and decided to capture humans and put them in zoos? Humans, if given the option, would probably choose to be free rather than be gawked at all day.

So in order to keep the circle of life and continue to have animals be a part of the world, humans must take basic steps to maintain the delicate balance between man and beast.

swaaaggeerr said...
Oct. 10 at 12:50 am:
thanks for sharing this you deserve a medal

koolio said...
Jun. 18 at 3:43 pm:
thank u so much for this! whe are doing an essay on why zoos should not be banned but we need to show we are not biased when typing it up, so therefore i need some disadvantages of the zoo. tthis has really helped  :3

zoeboepoe said...
Jun. 11 at 12:47 pm:
i love this article! lol at the bottom tho it says "Free zoo coupons!"

shajeel said...
Apr. 23 at 12:27 pm:
i agree animals should not be kept in zoos

BanZoos666 said...
Mar. 24 at 3:49 pm:
Hi, we are having a debate if zoos should be banned. I would like to know your opinion. Thanks!

Sshsjs replied...
May 30 at 9:03 pm :
No one cares what u ask

monkey said...
Jan. 28 at 7:46 am:
the only reason the monkeys where culled is because they had a disease that was potentially deadly to humans

Luke said...
it was good but didnt have a good conclusion, and I really liked the begining, not that they were shot but, you had a good introduction.  =)

6261jk said...
hey well this was a well written article but u should know somethings i am having a dabate right in school if we are going to keep or bann zoos and i am a con so ya and u need to make sure u know all of ur info before posting but thank u so much this website did help me alot thanx 

lauren said...
There are some very valid points in this essay, and my grade 8 class is currently having an assignment dedicated to creating essays involving forclosures of zoos. Truly, this was a well written essay but when trying to convince someone that zoos are bad, make sure you know that all your information is 100% accurate. For example at woburn safari zoo they did shoot and kill monkeys, but this was because they were carrying diseases deadly to humans (simian Herpes B virus) But in all fairness, this ... (more »)

notmybuisness said...
May 14, 2013 at 3:44 am:
good job i really enjoyed this essy

harborlights replied...
Jun. 4, 2013 at 6:43 pm :
Thank you!

loser263 said...
May 7, 2013 at 3:03 am:
animals donot deserve this wrong treatment and i cant see this happen again

Clistemis said...
Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:28 am:
we should bann zoos dude!

MosesDecorah replied...
May 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm :
YEs dude we should  

Giana123 said...
Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:42 am:
Well I don't know what to say exept

Mtizzle said...
well who the dum idiot the decided to go pet a lion thats not the zoos fualt its the individuals fualt and plus most zoos are humane you never hear about them becuase all you hear about are the bad ones. and great arguement for the planet of the apes movie, but you have your opinion and in reality humans are animals but for animals to get smarter will most likely take millions of years and by that time we would mostlikley become advanced enough to go somewhere else since we used up all of the ea... (more »)

Bandana56 said...
I feel what you're saying. But you also need to know that a LOT of zoo's take really good care of their animals. But i thought your article was written well and you had some good reasons. And yes, i am all for animal safety.

tori:)))) said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:05 am:
I agree 100%! poor lil monkeys :'(

bootgamer5 said...
Thank you. I have to do an essay on this topic in English and you have enspired me. I have realy enjoyed reading this good work. ;)