This is Why we Shouldn't Ban the Production of Gasoline Cars | Teen Ink

This is Why we Shouldn't Ban the Production of Gasoline Cars

June 8, 2023
By Anonymous

Banning gasoline cars will not only ruin the economy but more importantly many people won't be able to afford an electric car. The environment will also be impacted by the production of electric cars, batteries, and charging stations. Therefore is banning the production of gasoline cars a smart decision for the long term? 


The main focus of why California and other states are enforcing this rule of banning gasoline cars is to help the environment be cleaner and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles. There's one big factor being left out and that is the production of electric cars and how it majorly affects the environment and even human lives. Electric cars require minerals such as lithium, cobalt, and manganese which have to be mined from the earth, Jon Miltimore in an article called “Banning Gas-Powered Vehicles Won’t Help the Earth” explains how these huge companies that produce batteries for electric cars use inmoral methods to produce batteries. “[R]aw materials needed for batteries are extracted at a high human and environmental toll. This includes, for example, child labor, health and safety hazards in informal work, poverty, and pollution.” The goal of this law was to help the world be a cleaner place not to destroy it more than it is, also imagine all the child labor and pollution that goes into a production of an electric car it goes against what this law is trying to accomplish. At a point of time they will run out of materials to produce these electric cars so is this really the smart decision to make? 


The automotive industry is a huge part of the US economy with 70 percent of U.S. drivers currently owning a gasoline car. One major disadvantage of this law is that it will kill jobs in the auto repair industry holds over 750,000 people jobs nationwide, and this might not be a problem in the short term because people will still be able to drive their gasoline cars after they enhance this law but for the long term, their car will reach its maximum potential it will be forced to buy a new or used electric vehicle. As Chet Thompson argued in his article called “Why banning gas-powered cars could hurt Californians” he explains how the automotive industry is not prepared yet to end the production of gasoline cars; “Though these employees are increasingly skilled and tech-savvy, experts say the industry is not prepared for the end of conventional vehicles. Electric vehicles, which do not need routine maintenance such as oil changes or emission checks, threaten the existence of car repair shops and their associated jobs.” Some people will say why not just change your career to one that involves electric cars the only problem is that electric cars don't need any routine maintenance like normal gasoline cars and only a certain amount of jobs can hire for production. 


So what can be the solution here… HYBRID CARS, these vehicles are packed in with an internal combustion engine and an electric motor. Hybrid cars offer a variety of fuelling with normal gas or a plug-in battery so electricity fuels up your car. This option is much better than only allowing electric cars to be produced, it will still keep the auto repair industry afloat with typical maintenance. Take all these that you have read and really think is banning gasoline cars the smart decision to make or it's just the government trying to control us even more..?


The author's comments:

Im heavily passionate about this topic because cars were my childhood and not no electric and terrible car builds.