What the World Needs to Hear | Teen Ink

What the World Needs to Hear

By CSweet23 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
CSweet23 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

A smile is always better than a frown, cause' if you smile for long enough, it will become genuine.

Now more then ever, I feel stressed about my future, even more stressed than I ever thought possible. Posts, ads, conversations, news networks, everywhere the topic of climate change and global warming is coming up. People talking about how in now a little over a decade, the world we live on? It will be beyond saving
Earth; A miracle of a planet. Without this home we all live on, we would most definitely not be here. It's ecosystem, it's life cycle, balanced itself. It's surface continuously morphs and continuously provides all one would need to thrive. Yet, some creatures care more about thriving than giving back to this home, our home.

It's us, it's the human race, the homeo sapiens.
We have always thought consistently short term. From power, transportation, and even food. Sustainability? Some say “who cares?” Others even have the audacity to claim, “Climate change isn’t real.” To those people? I say you should care and those who are ignorant to say that climate change isn't real? Look up the facts, the countless articles. Go up to a scientist, anyone with a degree surrounding nature, wildlife, the atmosphere, anyone. But if you still believe that it's all fake, you are either lying or there is a bigger issue for yourself.

There have been periods of extinction before. The dinosaurs meteor? The Cambrian explosion? Yeah, we’ve been there. Waves of extinction have happened before and are bound to happen naturally. But the thing is? This is not natural! This is not a meteor, or a volcano, or something the earth naturally did itself. If we do not stop now. We will be the first and last unnatural world-wide extinction. Think about that. We are quite literally digging our own graves.

All of this is real. The global temp? Oh, it rises everyday. The cute animals and essential plants? “It is estimated that one-third of corals, freshwater mollusks, sharks, and rays, one-fourth of all mammals, one-fifth of all reptiles, and one-sixth of all birds are heading towards extinction.” You know why? Climate change.

I was doing even more research on this to see if people know about all of this. If they know all of the facts and I found a poll, that I'm not going to lie, quite literally made me enraged. The media company Vox did a poll of Americans to see if they were worried about climate change and if they would really pay to help fix it. The results? “Polls keep showing that Americans are increasingly concerned about climate change, but they aren’t willing to do much about it.” They want it to get fixed on its own. People want the government to do something. Well here’s the thing: climate change at this point needs money, actual cash, to pay for solutions. The trees that we could plant to help? Cost money. The switch from cheap coal-powered energy to electric? Costs money. The change into creating products into sustainable? Guess what? It costs money! All of the solutions that we need in order to not continue to heat up our planet up like an actual oven, they cost money. There is no cheap way out of this. No free solution. There never has been, and there never will be.

It’s as easy as this, taking away some efficiency and ease of life to help save our lives in the long run, is that worth it to you. Spending a dollar more on biodegradable cups and plates instead of plastic. Buying less packaged food and look for bulk foods instead. Spending the extra money for those tote bags to take to the store so you don't waste plastic. Remembering to turn the lights off when you leave a room. Don't litter. Just remembering to recycle! It really isn’t that hard, and if we as consumers all do this, the companies will listen. If every American did this, I guarantee that not only would those choices alone help, but more products would become environmentally friendly. Then we can take bigger steps, like changing energy sources from coal and gas to wind, water, and solar. Planting more trees and restricting deforestation. Cleaning the oceans. Fixing the things that never should have become issues in the first place. Only after we fix ourselves and try to help others is when we can “save” the world: we can fix the mistakes we made.

This is what the world needs to hear.
We need to do something to save the world.
This isn’t science fiction.
No superhero can save us.
No miracle machine.
We need to take action.
We need to save our world.

Written for a portfolio from a piece inside my writers' journal.