Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

Zmickey said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 7:01 am
You must of spent a lot of time writing this- good job. However, I don't agree with you. Kids should drink at 21 because kids would have responsibility at that age. They need to not be allowed alcohol until they are at an age that makes informed descisions. They need to know that alcohol is not a necessity of life. Why not have ginger ale! Do kids want the effects of drinking too much. They shouldn't get hooked at a young age. Also, I think that the government has more important issues t... (more »)

Mariam.J said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 2:19 am

As much as I applaude your efforts for posting this article here and engagin everyone in a decent argument, I for one do NOT agree with this . :/

Sorry, but lowering the drinking age is just gonna make it worse . Kids as young as 13 , where I come from , drink and lowering the age is not gonna make any difference to this . If anything, it'll just INCREASE the number of teens drinking .

And comparing it with something as patriotic and meaningful as fighting for your cou... (more »)

rockyraccoon said...
I don't think lowering the drinking age would realy help. Sure some teens would stop because it was no longer realy a rebelious thing to do but teens who are depressed or such would just be encouraged to drink more and in a way it would still probaly be considered rebelious because alot of parents would not let their kids drink and they would still be breaking some rules.

bluebonnet said...
While this was well-written, I don't agree with your arguments. First of all, if teens can't be responsible enough to wait until they are legally able to drink, then how would it help to make it legal? That would just mean more would do it and it would be easier for them to get alcohol. Second, I believe that making it legal to drink earlier would send the wrong message about drinking- i. e. "Hey, when those older teenagers started drinking, they changed the laws. That must mean that it's o... (more »)

AsylumPatientNo.59637 said...
I honestly dont think the age should be lowered. If your drinking to deal with stress or peer pressure, drinking will do nothing but get you more depressed. Ive seen how alcohol can make people act. Actually I see it from my mom and her friends all the time, and let me tell you, Its nothing pretty...

Meko8195 said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:41 am
Quick question...How does lowering the drinking age make it anymore okay? and another question...aren't those other countries more respectful than us and not full of rebelious teenagers that go out and do drugs and drink?

Sayaren replied...
Most teenagers are rebellious, no matter what country they are from. Yes, they'll have different standards for behavior, but saying that only American teens are rebellious and doing drugs and drinking is an assumption.

Meko8195 replied...
Ive done some traveling in my life...but i dont think ive ever seen a teenager talk back tot here parents in any other country :\ It makes me feel like crap cuz theyre WAY better than me HAHA.

Fangstorm_The_Vampire said...
Well, it is a pretty big issue. i don't think this would get rid of the problem. But it should help.

Rachel N. said...
Well it's more of an issue of can we handle it. I'm sure that a majority would be able too. But, that doesn't make it ok for our health. Alcohol has serious negative affects on the growing minds and bodies of teenagers.

twix.n.pixi.stix7 said...
i agree. they say "the forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest" so making drinking illegal almost encourages it. in other countries where anyone can drink, it is just a beverage. like soda or juice. we wouldnt try to get off pepsi, would we?

Meko8195 replied...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:27 am
???murders illegal...should we make that legal too???

twix.n.pixi.stix7 replied...
no thats not what im saying... murder is a totally different thing. we dont have a large problem with teenagers illegally killing people for fun. besides, thats not what we are talking about. we're talking about drinking. all im saying is that half the fun of underage drinking is feeling like you're donig something illegal. if it was completely legal, nothing special, less people would want to do it  

Meko8195 replied...

I dont know....Some teens dont drink out of rebellion...plus the only reason people agree to this is because they want to drink alot and be legal about it. Changing it would just mean that they can drink more. :(

twix.n.pixi.stix7 replied...
i dont really know either. you can argue this either way. there isnt really any perfect solution to this.

Meko8195 replied...
I agree...so maybe they should just let it go :

ilovebooze123 said...
i love drinking im 17 an can handle it just fine idk why adults have to change the age to 21 like really why cant us teens drink we have problems to and drinking is fun an helps with stress

Meko8195 replied...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:26 am
probably because of people like you? If your immature enough to say screw the law and drink before 21 then obviously your immature enough to harm yourself or others. The law should stay the way it is. If you have stress I would try to find a less deadly way of getting rid of it. And as for being fun? Well i guess some people consider hangovers, blackouts, ad near death experiences fun. Oh and don't forget about the people who get the thrill of taking someone elses life. -.-

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
okay well um. maybe you shouldnt be so rude to people first off. you do whatever it is to handle your stress. you have your way of fun just like ilovebooze123.drinking isnt that big of a problem as long as you dont drive under the influence. and what  drunk driver ever gets the thrill of taking someone elses life? people make mistakes ya know. thats low for you to say that. ik someone who has accidentally taken someones life that way. so maybe consider other peoples feelings before you go o... (more »)

Meko8195 replied...
When two of your friends are dead from an alchole related accident and the other one is in jail under manslaughter counts then maybe youll understand why i couldnt care less about these peoples feelings. So mind ur own buisness.