Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

May 18, 2008
By Anonymous

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 740 comments.


on Dec. 21 2011 at 5:51 pm
swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia
13 articles 17 photos 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I agree completely. Well stated.

on Dec. 19 2011 at 1:17 pm
robert rozier, Bronx, New York
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I  DISAGREENOT IN FULL THO

THIS STORY IS WHAT I THINK AND ENCOURAGEMENT TOO KIDS UNDER 18 TO DRINK. ONE THING I DO AGREE WITH IS THE POINT THAT TEENS ARE GOING TO GET ALCOHOL WHEN THEY WANT IT.BUT I DONT THINK THE LEGAL DRINKIN AGE SHOULD BE LOWERD ,REASON WHY IS BECAUSE WHEN YOU DO GET OF THE AGE THATS SHOULD BE A LIFE EXPERIENCE.

I LIKE THIS ARTICLE BECAUSE I HAVE A PERSONAL CONNECTION WITH THE STORY.WHEN I WAS 15 I WAS BUYIN LIQUOR OUT THE LIQUOR ON A REGULAR BASES.TILL 1 TIME I GOT CAUGHT BY MY MOTHER IN THE STORE.I GOT EMBARESSED.THINKING IM GROWN

PS.MAYBE YOU SHOULD RAISE THE DRINKING AGE

 


on Dec. 18 2011 at 10:36 pm
Kingdom_of_the_Forgotten GOLD, Ogden, Utah
12 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Time, the cradle of hope.... Wisdom walks before it, opportunity with it, and repentance behind it: he that has made it his friend will have little to fear from his enemies, but he that has made it his enemy will have little to hope from his friends." ~Charles Caleb Colton

Thanks for posting this comment.

on Dec. 18 2011 at 7:33 pm
CorrinaElisabeth, Eatonville, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without even noticing it." ~C.S.Lewis

Yes, it would stop underage drinking. But only beause there isn't a standard. The numbers of drinkers won't decrease - the number of aftereffects and accidents and addictions won't either. Numbers won't change (if anything, they'll increase); legality is the only thing that is changing.  I'm sorry, but whenever I see arguments like this, I think that it wasn't well researched, or at least researched with a huge bias. The consequences of drinking outweigh any "benefits" - be it legal or illegal.

on Dec. 18 2011 at 7:27 pm
CorrinaElisabeth, Eatonville, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without even noticing it." ~C.S.Lewis

I disagree. In full.

Even looking past the spelling/grammar mistakes, and the somewhat obvious line of argument, I cannot agree.

If you lower the age, all you will do is shift the whole spectrum lower. Instead of having that percentage of 16-20 year olds drinking illegally, you'll simply have 14-18 year olds drinking more and more frequently. Then you'll have the outcry to have the age lowered to 14. And then 10. And then, "Why have a standard at all?"

The age isn't there to restrict us teens. It's there to protect us from ourselves, and it's there to protect the people around us.

Before you start petitioning the drinking age to be lowered, research your facts more. Where in the world did you get your statistics? I'd be truly interested to know which groups were surveyed and how. Also, look at the other side before you form your opinion. Adults aren't monsters trying to steal away our fun. They're simply older versions of us, who have walked where we walked, made their mistakes, and don't want us to make mistakes unnecessarily.


Tardus227 said...
on Dec. 8 2011 at 1:56 pm
The idea on this article is great! I also think the age should be lowered.

silly lilly said...
on Dec. 8 2011 at 12:03 pm
think it should be lowered to 13 no driving!!!!

Bob8 said...
on Dec. 8 2011 at 9:58 am
Yes I thank it should be lower but I also thank that it should keep it the same because some 17-20 years olds are not responsibe and then they go drive when there drunk and they could kill some one. So I thank I desigrea now

kingcapps111 said...
on Dec. 6 2011 at 1:43 pm
I am 19 and i drink but i am very responsible drinker and my mom said its cool as long as im at the house when i do drink

ninja17 SILVER said...
on Dec. 5 2011 at 9:54 pm
ninja17 SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico
6 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who wouldn't give up on them."

I'm 17 and I refuse to drink. But I totally agree with this! Such a reasonable argument. Deserves 5 stars with an A++++! :)

Cheer2013 said...
on Dec. 2 2011 at 12:17 pm
Cheer2013, Deshler, Nebraska
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
dont let someone's opinion become your reality

i totally agree with this! haha i mean we are surrounded by people who drink dont they know that us teenagers are gonna want to do it to? its not like we dont anyways. but to cause less problems with like m.i.p's and stuff they should lower the drinking ages

smith said...
on Dec. 2 2011 at 7:30 am
crazy!!!!!!

smith said...
on Dec. 2 2011 at 7:28 am
noooooooo!

rob1996 said...
on Nov. 27 2011 at 4:19 pm
I personally think the drinking age should be lowered to 16. When you are 16 you are still around your parents. This would help control over drinking and there would be fewer problems

Kalyn92 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 26 2011 at 5:59 pm
Kalyn92 BRONZE, Forest City, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you have nothing, you have nothing to lose."

I agree with everything you wrote. Im not 21 yet and i drink. Im not an alcholic by any means. And im a responsible drinker. I wont drive and i take everyone elses keys. I think that alot of teenagers who can actually drink legally wouldnt abuse the right.

ase123 said...
on Nov. 15 2011 at 10:03 am
thats kool and they turned out fine right

ase123 said...
on Nov. 15 2011 at 10:01 am
i think drinking at a lower age would stop alot of under age drinking

on Nov. 7 2011 at 8:35 am

Give Me A Beer And see how i am

 


on Nov. 4 2011 at 10:30 pm
PhilosophicalLinx BRONZE, Upper Marlboro, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
" I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing."
-socrates

you demonstrate a variance in sentence structure and a well developed point of view, furthermore you add a humorous accent to your words that I enjoyed as I read. well formulated piece friend do make more, and i'd also like to add (without sounding cheesy) that if you want to read some work of mine it is under my username. I must warn you it is my first piece (fiction story), it's about an adult being assigned a child (because he is single) on bring your children to work day and he learns alot about the little boy. Written to it's best potential I know this, but will you be my judge?

on Nov. 4 2011 at 9:42 pm
BookWorm98 BRONZE, Oberlin, Kansas
2 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
No one said life was gonna be easy but you gotta pick yourself up dust yourself off and move on.
-Jillian Ruthann

You have a good point but studies also show the younger you start drinking the more likely u are to get addicted plus many teenagers would use alcohal as an outlet there are pros and cons to both sides