Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

By Harold Gonzalez, Wyoming, MI

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

on Jun. 16 2010 at 2:31 pm
ThatClarinetPerson SILVER, Tequesta, Florida

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."
~Marvin the Paranoid Android (from the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series)
Statistical analysis suggests that i am probably in tune with someone
(hahahahaha! I love this cause i'm never ever ever in tune >o

totally agree :)

on Jun. 16 2010 at 2:28 pm

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."

The reason the legal drinking age is 21, in the US anyway, is because the brain is still developing into the mid 20's.

nono!! said...
on Jun. 15 2010 at 12:04 pm

if it can lower to 18, why not 17, 16. in the end, you can drink,smoke at the birth

on Jun. 8 2010 at 2:03 pm
destinylubsyo, Ponca City, Oklahoma

always take what life offers and never turn it down and dont regreat any thing!!

they should lower it because teens at age 13 are allready smokin and drinking

jonyboyy1 said...
on Jun. 8 2010 at 11:42 am
it should be lowered we all have to die some day why not live your life.

on Jun. 8 2010 at 10:57 am
letmekeepthis GOLD, Mount Juliet, Tennessee

"whats past is prologue" - shakespeare

ha thanks(:

ANGELSTAR14 said...
on Jun. 8 2010 at 10:44 am
I think that they shouldn't bring down the age because you get in trouble by the school and their school board,cops

Katie999 said...
on May. 26 2010 at 8:55 pm
Katie999, Dntask, Michigan
lol good one :)

Katie999 said...
on May. 26 2010 at 8:54 pm
Katie999, Dntask, Michigan

I see your point completely. I would have to dissagree however. Did you know that wine has a MUCH higher alcohol content than beer and liquor?

I would suggest that only those in the military at 18 or over should be allowed to drink. If they are responsible enough, mature enough to make a decision about the course of their lives, to put their lives on the line for the sake of our fellow American's...Our young soldiers have by far EARNED  the right to consume alcohol.

ñgklrhsrh said...
on May. 26 2010 at 4:45 am
in seville people start smoke and drink and having drugs at 13

on May. 21 2010 at 10:51 am
omnia_vincit_amor BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

"No Great Thing Is Created Suddenly"
"Take My Hand and We'll Make It I Swear"

I agree to a certain extent with tomboym except for the banning of alcohol.

But the only bad part is, if we were to lower the age to lawfully drink, once the door is open there is no way to close it because the damage will already be done.

I have seen the affect of drinking and drinving by several diffrent age groups and how it tears up a family and worse the person who cause the acciedent.

Tomboy GOLD said...
on May. 21 2010 at 10:24 am
Tomboy GOLD, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

"The human heart had hidden treasures; in secret kept; in silence sealed; the thoughts; the hopes; the dreams; the pleasures; whose charms were broken if revealed" - Charlotte Bronte

I'm kind of on both sides of this.  I agree with some of the comments but the article does make sense.  I think it depends where.  Though, alchohaul should be banned and they should stop making it.  Theres always countless accidents, hunderds of side affects, ruins lives, and almost everyone says its bad anyway.  I do think that champane and wine should be ok, on special occasions.  What i'm saying is that beer and liquor should be banned.

on May. 19 2010 at 8:51 am
JaguaariLilly BRONZE, Santa Rosa, California
1 article 1 photo 12 comments

“Somehow we survive; we don’t even try - we don’t like who we are; but we pretend anyway. Because we’re human as such… we long for someone to touch, a little death to escape, a shallow grave with a face.” - "Anyone" by Moving Units

okay then, i thought it might have to do with something with membrane potential but i dont rele make sense of "because at age 21 alcohol can no longer destroy developing brain. It still kills them after 21 but not as quickly" its contradictory...it doesn't kill them, just less quickly....well thats still killing brain cells...

on May. 19 2010 at 12:45 am
Swindlewick SILVER, ..., Washington

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

Under the age of 21, alcohol can disrupt and severe synapse connections between cells in the brain, stunting the development of basic skills. It also enters the membrane of neurons and alters their function. In studies, the white matter (what connects and transmits messages in the brain) are extremely depleted in the brain of an  underage user (however, the grey matter itself did not vary). These risks are greatly intensified on a brain that is still in it's developing ages, under about 21.

on May. 19 2010 at 12:38 am
1 article 1 photo 12 comments

oh wow i meant  to say "destroy developing brain cells" oops

on May. 19 2010 at 12:36 am
1 article 1 photo 12 comments

I feel the phrase "developing brain cells" is over used and nonspecific....what excately does phrase mean? like does the cell aquire a greater mass? more connections? loss ability to aquire more connections with other neurons? and what damage would there be to your brain or overall thinking process if alcohol was not overused when under 21? so idk if the phrase "developing brain cells" has any signifigance to me, being an AP bio student,...its just too vague to be evidence for me.

on May. 19 2010 at 12:18 am
1 article 1 photo 12 comments

when the USA had the prohibition amendement attatched to the constition, 18th i think...all transportation, consumption of alcohol was illegal. In the 1920's, which is when this law was enforced, alcohol consumption rates increased dramatically. we have organized crimes today because people like Al Capone, a bootlegger/ganster (someone who illegally manufactured and sold alcohol) laid foundations for this type of crimnal strategies/activities whatev. like the mexican drug cartels. different groups fighting for control of an industry...use violence murder etc

on May. 17 2010 at 8:56 pm
MoonlitRaven BRONZE, Nanaimo, Other

"Life is seen only through lenes, it's to only your perspective that you can tell." Josh Gray

plz this articles way too biased, all this kid whats to do is drink

Cowgirl(: said...
on May. 16 2010 at 4:53 pm
Drinking is perfectly fine, it has been around for years, and the age should be lowered, most people do drink weather they are allowed to or not. No one can stop a teenager from doing what they want to do, and that is exactly why teenagers have such a bad reputation. Its something that everyone should consiter,

cal3 said...
on May. 14 2010 at 8:55 pm
think it wouldnt make any difference it would just cost more accidents. in order to make people stop drinking and driving is to make alchol illegal to sale or buy no matter wat age

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!