Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I see your point, but I don't agree. Drinking is stupid no matter what age you are. And about the whole "when you turn 18 you can legally kill people in the military", you're acting like that's all we're doing. Like our military goes overseas just to start killing people. Well, we don't. People may not like to admit it, but the military is protecting our freedom. And if they have to kill the enemy in the process, so be it. And if you don't like it move to ... (more »)

af12 replied...
You have a good point
I agree

af12 replied...
wow you have an interesting life as it seems

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 7:15 am
What do you mean?

toxic.monkey replied...
protecting your freedom? it's not like the US army is defending USA from attacking bomb raiders or anything! it's US soldiers going into other countries and fighting people in other countries! call it invasion, call it peace-keeping, call it supporting unstable governments, but it's not protecting your freedom.

So by saying that, you're saying it was wrong for Iraqis invade our country and kill thousands. For no reason what so ever, and yet not right for us to protect our country from that same thing happening again. I would love for you to stand up in front of the family memebers of those who died in 9/11 and tell them we had no right to defend our counrty from the men who kill their fathers, mothers, children, aunts, uncles, wives, husbands.... P.S, you obviously know absolutly no marines, army men o... (more »)

toxic.monkey replied...
Apr. 11, 2010 at 10:27 am
"you're saying it was wrong for iraqis to invade our country and kill thousands" when have any people from iraq invaded USA? 9/11 was a terrorist act, not the government of iraq sending their soldiers to attack USA! it was a sick, disgusting thing to do and it messed up a lot of people's lives! what I'M saying is that the US army isn't protecting americans' freedoms! PS i do know some american army men and i've found them to be completely normal people. i have nothing against the soldiers but i'... (more »)

the men who were the terrorists on 9/11 were Iraqi. They had full support of the Iraqi preisident Saddam Hussein. Check it out.

toxic.monkey replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 10:20 am
now's the moment i confess I wasn't aware they had support from saddam hussein. and also that i'm losing track of where this conversation is going

Me too. Wanna call a truce and drop it?

toxic.monkey said...
I just want to say, how many of you who have posted ever had alcohol? I have, but not in big quantities. It's not a big deal! The think is, control yourself and you won't end up crashing your car and killing your mates!!! You don't have to drink until you pass out- just have a little and that's enough to loosen you up. By the way, in these European countries, little kids have watered-down wine and in the Middle Ages, all people ever had was cider, wine, and beer cause it was ... (more »)

Sayaren replied...
Finally, someone who sees sense.

random screen name said...
I agree with your overall point, but I think the logic you use to back it up is dubious. Trust me, I know all about teenagers boozing it up on the outskirts of the law--I live in a town with its own brewery, where most people are drinking by the age of 12. But does that mean we should lower the drinking age to 12 in my town, because, y'know, we're all doing it anyway? Like I said, I agree that the drinking age is too high, but convincing people that a law should be removed because p... (more »)

gennygirl said...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:23 am
i see your points but why the nned to drink in general, it just screws thing up

serena replied...

Exactly!                  

Bbrat said...
I agree with you. Not because i'm a hard core drinker or anything, but its just the fact that at 18 your "considered" an adult. You can vote, buy a gun, drive, join the military, and the list goes on. If at 18 you can do all that why is it that we cant drink?

mutekid016 replied...
Mar. 22, 2010 at 7:59 am
I totally agree with both of you. i mean really, kids are going to drink and when your 18 your considered an adult. the legal limit of drinking should be lowered. If it's ok for you to own a dangerous weapon, then why cant you drink?

EmeliaCarm said...
I completely agree! I am a Senior in High School, I am 18 years old, and I had my first sip of alcohol in 8th grade! I went to my first party in 9th. Note I have never been fully, pass out don't remember a thing, drunk. But that doesn't mean I haven't come close. I now know of girls who are in 6th grade who have been drunk every weekend. Its crazy!
I agree with the fact that we drink underage because it gives us that small sense of danger, were breaking a law *OMG*! It may ... (more »)

Gabs(: said...
Im nit sure if i agree, yes people are doing it anyways but with 18 year olds they have just learned how to drive adn it may make it worse. But idk i think everything should be one age, driving,drinking smoking voting, it should all be one age.

Ellen B. said...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 2:12 am
I agree that the drinking age should be 18 im almost 18 and in highschool you know that a lot of highschools between the ages of 14-18 drink once or twice or even more then that if they go to partys all the tme I mean there are countrys that dont have a drinking age at all why can we just have it to be 18 so we can stop haveing to worry about the cops busting people. also I think that there might be less car accidents and people that die