Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

Cosgrove said...
May 12, 2011 at 10:30 am
Just because you're old enough to join the Army does not mean that you are mature enough to drink. Yes, when you join the Army, its a big thing and your doing something really important but at the same time you are accepting new responsibilities as well as risking your life, your OWN LIFE, for the welfare of the people back home or for that guy who just lost his legs fighting with you. Yes, go on and drink, but just remember-once you take on something new, something more mature* (*if mature is t... (more »)

Meko8195 replied...
May 12, 2011 at 11:49 am
Well i am! >:( I hate it when i see druggies lining up the streets waiting for their next paycheck for doing NOTHING!....but anyways alcohol will solve that problem.

ilovedayna replied...
hey all the druggies will be gone and we won't be paying them to be druggies either... i'm starting to like this idea.... jk :)

Meko8195 replied...
May 13, 2011 at 11:52 am
It is a good idea...........NOT! LOL

thesilentgirljackie replied...
I agree! :)

Meko8195 said...
May 12, 2011 at 10:13 am
I deal with irresponsible teens everyday. I am one of them. Most of my friends spend their weekend getting wasted. two of my friends are dead and One of them is in jail for taking a life while under the influence. So lets just let them kill themselves and others around them legally, right? No. I beleive that the ages for driving, and smoking should be raised and the military has nothing to do with drinking. at least in the military you are not loopy and irresponsible and at least you GAIN someth... (more »)

ilovedayna replied...
it's good when people share experiences like this because it shows what HAS happened and what will CONTINUE to happen if people don't take notice of the 'big picture.' i wouldn't be surprised, Meko8195, if you just changed someone's mind about this, you should write a story about this and describe feelings and stuff. that'd be cool- just for all of us to bring it close and all that. 

Meko8195 replied...
May 13, 2011 at 11:58 am
that's a good idea. Maybe describe the funerals and how my one friend (The one in jail) had to meet the parents of the person he killed. Most people don't consider that. Parents go crazy and it was them who stopped me from wanting to drink. The pain on their faces was so horrible that just the thought of alcohol is painful.

ilovedayna replied...
yeah you totally should!!! that'd be really really awesome!!! :)

Meko8195 replied...
May 19, 2011 at 5:01 am
 totally will :)

SMiiLEY said...
May 12, 2011 at 8:44 am
in my school we are doing a debate on this subject and i really get a lot of information off of this article thanks!!!

Meko8195 replied...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:21 am
I wouldn't do it off of this artical....You might want to do it off of the comments though.

MadMouse said...
I like this article! I see your point and even though I don't like drinking it really makes sense. I've heard your argument before but this I like the way you put it the best.

STEPHANMCGULLY said...
THE LOWEST ILLEGAL DRINKING AGE IS ZERO??? REBELLION??? STEPHAN MCGULLY BEGS TO DIFFER.

DylanBaugher said...
i agree with this article. i think if your old enough to join the army and KILL PEOPLE and mature enough to handle that. your mature enough to make the descision to drink

Meko8195 replied...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:23 am
Most people who go into the army and actually see people die go to therapist to get there heads checked afterwards. They obviously can't handel that and this artical proves we can't handel drinking

Martina V. said...
Actually to you killer, all people would kill themselfs not just teens, i don't get why people always say us teen do this bad bad this bad that it gets on my nerves adult make bad chooices to.

ilovedayna replied...
we get a bad rap because stereotypically, we're known for being impulsive.

Meko8195 replied...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:36 am
but we are impulsive and immature. :) I'm 15 and don't mind being called that because I know it's true. I've had enough hard reality experiences that i can look at us from the adults eyes. Teens these days are disrespectful, impulsive, and immature and I'm one of them!

ilovedayna replied...
haha it sounds like we have a lot in common :)

Meko8195 replied...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:26 am
XD hahaha