Legalize medical marijuana? | Teen Ink

Legalize medical marijuana?

March 7, 2012
By ChellieBellie BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
ChellieBellie BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
~ Albert Einstein


I had a family member diagnosed with cancer and while he was going through his chemotherapy treatments he lost a lot of weight and slowly stopped eating. His doctor suggested that he used medicinal marijuana to try and get him to gain some weight back. He did eventually gain some weight back, and the quality of his life seemed to improve for his last few months. If one of your close family members was in such a bad condition, would you deny them of what they believe is their last hope at a better life for as long as possible?


Did you know that it is estimated that over 4 million Americans have glaucoma but only half of those know they have it? This Year, a New Case of Breast Cancer Will be Diagnosed Every 2 Minutes. People in the U.S. are diagnosed with colorectal cancer every 4 minutes, and dies of colorectal cancer every 9.3 minutes. Medicinal marijuana should be legalized because it can make living with such serious cancers a little bit more bearable.


When a cancer patient goes through side effects include vomiting and loss of appetite. Medicinal marijuana will help settle their stomachs and even get them to eat more. Medicinal marijuana is also an alternative to other prescription drugs such as morphine. Morphine can make patients feel even sicker then the actual cancer does. If something as simple as marijuana can make a cancer patient feel a little bit more comfortable, then why should we deny them that right?


Some say that it should be illegal because it is unhealthy and addictive. In today’s society, anything and everything is classified as unhealthy. Cigarettes’ are just as unhealthy, should we make that illegal too? Cigarettes’ can’t be made in the United States because some of the ingredients are illegal here, and somehow they are better for you than a plant that can make a cancer patients quality of life increase.

It isn't proven whether or not marijuana is addictive. If marijuana is used at a young age, it is more likely that you will become addicted to heavy drugs. However, studies also show that if you have a higher Iq, you are more likely become addicted to drugs.


I believe that if people aren't abusing the right of medicinal marijuana, then it should be legalized. As long as some irresponsible adolescence isn’t trying to take advantage of the privilege, then legalization should be no problem. As long as there were strict age restrictions, we could control the amount being put into the population. It is a very controversial topic, and I believe that people are so reluctant to approve this because people have a natural fear of change, and something like this could change America forever, for better or worse.