Legalizing Marijuana | Teen Ink

Legalizing Marijuana

By Yessica BRONZE, Everson, Washington
Yessica BRONZE, Everson, Washington

Life goes on.

Many people think smoking weed, also known as cannabis, is bad for you. When in reality it’s good for you. Weed doesn’t harm you and is like a medicine to cure your pains. The government is basically banning a medicine. Marijuana is the least harmful drug and yet it’s banned. When alcohol and tobacco which can kill you are legal. It’s common sense.
First of all, the government should learn from the past history that prohibiting doesn’t work. Because whether they illegalize cannabis or not people will still be using it. Cannabis is like a medicine to people, so it’s like banning medicine. In fact 4% of the world’s adult populations (162 million) are finding way to get passed the struggles of everyday life. With the pain of the world stopping people from enjoying simple pleasures, sometimes there is a need for help. Marijuana brings million of people relief from pain of their everyday struggles. It’s like some people everyday medicine. And for the government to take that away from people is unfair. If weed isn’t harming anybody than why should it be illegal?
Also, like any substance, marijuana can be abused, but it is impossible to overdose on. The most common problem associated with marijuana is abuse is lethargic behavior, but does not cause serious health or social concerns. Overuse of alcohol will result in an inability to walk, stand or even death, whereas overuse of weed will simply put a person to sleep. 40% of all fatal car accidents are caused by alcohol while no car accident have been directly caused by marijuana. Herb is the healing of the nation, alcohol is the destruction.
Last but not least legalizing cannabis will engender enormous sums of money. In fact 7.7 billion dollars is spent annually on law enforcement to transverse marijuana consumption. The government is wasting a lot of money on something that’s no big deal. For instance 88% of all people in jail, a staggering 2 million are there due to marijuana offenses. If cannabis were to be legal there would be way more spots open for more serious crimes.
In conclusion, weed should be legalized. There’s nothing wrong with smoking weed. I think people need to be educated to the fact that weed is not a drug, it’s an herb. God put it there, if he put it here than he wants it to grow. Legalize it, don’t criticize it.

Legalize the Herb (;