Legalizing Marijuana | Teen Ink

Legalizing Marijuana

By CaitlinK GOLD, Spearfish, South Dakota
CaitlinK GOLD, Spearfish, South Dakota

The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting.
- Vincent van Gough

Everybody dies at some point in their life, but have you ever wondered how? Maybe you will drink yourself dead, die of old age, or possibly get critically ill with some form of cancer. With the use of marijuana, cancer can be less of a pain-staking way to die. Legalizing marijuana, I think, would help benefit the way society looked at it, not just because of medical reasons, but because of agricultural purposes and a decrease in crime.

Marijuana is a good drug to use for someone who has cancer, Tourette’s syndrome, or epilepsy. Why? It is because a person with cancer can be unhealthy and have really bad nausea, diarrhea, and stomach pains. If they smoke medical marijuana, there is an 83% chance that they get healthier and their nausea, diarrhea, and stomach pains decrease, says Scott Paplowski, a 39-year-old who is the oldest living survivor of rhabdomysocarma cancer.

People with Tourette’s or epilepsy who smoke medical marijuana are much calmer. Tourette’s can be very annoying when the ticks are common three to five minutes. Epilepsy is the same, but the seizures are more common and get out of hand.

Marijuana has been used in human life since 7000 B.C. The flowering tops and the leaves of the plant were used as physiological and physiological effects and the seeds were a source of food.

Marijuana can also substitute wood paper, fossil fuels, and most of our fibers, such as cotton. It can also be made into dynamite to plastic. In 1935 alone, 116 pounds of marijuana seeds were used in America for paint and varnish. But after 1937, most of the industry went to chemicals. It can save the environmental issues such as sewage by using renewable cellulose as a chemical stock instead of plastic plumbing pipes. The many, many, uses of marijuana are endless.

In an annual survey called “Monitoring the Future,” high school students reported smoking marijuana over tobacco—a clue that helps point to changing attitudes towards the country’s most popular illegal drug. 17% of eighth graders, a third of sophomores, and 44% of seniors said that they’ve used marijuana, Gill Kerlikowske reported during a news conference in Washington.

Even though there is a steady decline of marijuana use, dispatchers are getting more and more calls for illegal drug dealers. 40% of calls are mainly because of marijuana. Law enforcement agencies spend billions of dollars annually trying to enforce the enforceable prohibition. Racial inequities that are part of marijuana can’t be ignored. African Americans are no more than likely to use it, but are three to ten time more likely—depending on the state or city—to get arrested for illegally possessing. In a recent poll by the Public Policy Institute of California, support has fallen to 44% from 52% in September in favor of a prohibition for legalizing marijuana.
In the 1930’s, marijuana was the maniacal villain of Reefer Madness, the propaganda film that helped Congress outlaw the substance. In the 1960’s, smoking it was a symbol of hippie rebellion against World War II. In the 70’s it became punch lines in stoner comedies, and in the 90’s it transformed into a hip-hop status symbol for rappers. These are the reasons why people think that marijuana is harmless, but it does cause problems with the law. If marijuana became legalized again, police officers can spend more time on more serious crimes such as murder and DUI drivers.
So in conclusion, I believe marijuana should be legal in all 50 states because people are battling with illnesses and disorders that can potentially lead to serious damage in their lives. It can be used to substitute many things that could help save our environment and air. Crime and violence would decrease tremendously.
While many people thing marijuana is an “unhealthy drug,” I believe that it is a way to help society when it is in need.

I wrote this last year as a persuasive essay. I do smoke marijuana, but that is because I feel things are so much better when I do. If you are against this, then stop reading.

Dsmom said...
I love this! I am a medical marijuana patient and I have a teenage daughter that is having a difficult time in health class because she understands that medical marijuana is a wonderful thing but what she learns in class is generally negative about marijuana all around. I am definitely sharing this with her in hopes that it will help her feel more positive about advocating to her peers and also her teachers. Keep up the good work!!!!!

dini said...
on Feb. 4 2016 at 10:58 am
I fully agree that marijuana is a very good drug .personally I think it is best to legalize it

Megan said...
I love it?