Legalize it | Teen Ink

Legalize it

March 25, 2010
By JAY123 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
JAY123 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I strongly believe that Marijuana should be legalized because it can help the government raise money and there are some medical uses for the drug. Additionally, it would take a burden off the judicial system by freeing up space in prison for hard drug users. There are many reasons of why Marijuana should be legalized and why it shouldn’t be, and I’m going to tell you my opinion. However, my opinion is that it should be legalized.

According to “alternet.org”, over 25 million people in the United States smoke Marijuana annually. Also, the drug is currently one of the biggest cash crops in the U.S and grown all over the world. Millions of people around the world and in America smoke it, and that is good portion of people. People have an idea that Marijuana will be terminated from the U.S but this is nonsensical, the drug is imported and exported all the time.

There are medical benefits from Marijuana as well. It helps people who have problems with spasms, nausea, and pain. It also aids people to have a relaxing sensation. The drug can be a substitute for alcohol as well. Marijuana is not toxic for humans and you can’t get an overdose on it. Also, it is not even close to being as addictive as tobacco or alcohol.

Financial benefits to the government are applied as well. Arresting for Marijuana is expensive for the law, is a waste of prison cell space, and just a waste of time for everyone. Over 750,000 people are arrested for Marijuana a year and it’s too much money for the justice system. The space in prison that is filled up due to Marijuana charges can instead be filled with more serious cases such as murder or rape.

Marijuana should be taxed to the government and other purposes. There are many things that Marijuana can help with, like the things I have named, and slowing down drug crime. If we Legalize Marijuana, it can help the U.S in many ways. There are more benefits than bad things, so why not legalize it?