WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING... | Teen Ink

WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

October 4, 2009
By OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
4 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.


I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

The author's comments:
I know bad ratings are going to be inevitable (if anyone even reads this) but I hope that if you actually do give it a glance, you'll be able to see where I'm coming from. I understand the terrible affects that drink and drugs can have on our lives - but let's not forget the unforgettable and inspirational moments that they can provide...

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 265 comments.


on Mar. 29 2010 at 8:27 am
KatstertheMaster SILVER, Like I&#39d Tell You ;-), Florida
7 articles 1 photo 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't really think I need buns of steel. I'd be happy with buns of cinnamon."
Ellen DeGeneres

Even though I don't share your opinions, it was a very persuasive and well written article. You should be on your school debate team :)

Anonymous said...
on Mar. 27 2010 at 7:10 pm
I get your point of view--and I almost agree with it. But I've seen substance abuse first hand, and there's nothing fun about it. What if you're NOT an artist? They aren't the only ones who have addiction problems. You can't do much if you're really badly addicted. You can't live.

Wanttodelete said...
on Mar. 21 2010 at 2:07 pm
Wanttodelete, London, Other
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments
Oh, wow, harsh, people!

Rebecca H., we're all sorry that all of that has happened to you. Nobody is trying to undermine the difficulties of a life like that, or denying the disadvantages of drugs and alcohol, they were merely trying to illuminate the fact that we should all be smart enough to realise there are good and bad sides to everything. Don't you agree that it's childish to force everything into black and white? Drugs can be bad. They can be very, very bad- and that's been your experience of them. But they can also be very, very fun! Would you rather have a long, safe life, or a life that is more brief, but full of risk, laughter, fun? Terrible, terrible things still do happen to people that are completely unrelated to drink or drugs. It seems naive to condemn one thing fully, based on something bad that might have happened because of it. That's the sort of thinking that leads to bigotry, don't you think?

I mean, there's always going to be awful people in the world, but that doesn't stop other people from, um.. continuing to make more people..

Ahem, I just mean that.. well, try and keep an open mind about things.

PurplePerp said...
on Mar. 21 2010 at 5:08 am
PurplePerp, Reno, Nevada
0 articles 0 photos 8 comments
People are free to make there own decisions. But those people above who think they have such high morals should really do their homework before repeating the mindless propoganda that has been shoved down their throats. Try starting with the knowledge of how marijuana is different from the hard drugs you are being preached to about.

PurplePerp said...
on Mar. 21 2010 at 4:53 am
PurplePerp, Reno, Nevada
0 articles 0 photos 8 comments
It is a bit typical to say that people always chase the first high. For instance, the first time I took a hit of pot, I coughed, my mouth tasted gross, It didn't seem like all it was hyped up to be. It doesn't take any more to get me high, I'm just so used to it that I LIKE the feelings I first felt. I am not chasing the first high. I am a coffee lover, only chasing a better bean, or a smother way to brew.

PurplePerp said...
on Mar. 21 2010 at 4:48 am
PurplePerp, Reno, Nevada
0 articles 0 photos 8 comments
;D haha wow, slap in the face. Nice!

PurplePerp said...
on Mar. 21 2010 at 4:44 am
PurplePerp, Reno, Nevada
0 articles 0 photos 8 comments
Amen! I agree with you, this deserves recognition for showing another opinion many of us share (finally)

PurplePerp said...
on Mar. 21 2010 at 4:43 am
PurplePerp, Reno, Nevada
0 articles 0 photos 8 comments
Nice job! check out my article on prohibition if this peaks your attention.

on Mar. 20 2010 at 8:36 pm
LostAngel DIAMOND, Jersey, New Jersey
65 articles 0 photos 89 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Just live your life, if people don't like the way you are doing it then they can get out of it" "if you can't stand me at my worst you dont deserve me at my best"

LOVEEEEEE ITTT

on Mar. 9 2010 at 1:18 pm
Silevryn BRONZE, Osceola, Missouri
3 articles 51 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The world hasn't become more violent, it's become more televised"

hell yes. I'm tired of people bashing all forms of drugs or mind altering substances. Now im not advocating the use and or abuse of them, but people need to realize that without them our world wouldn't be worth living in

on Mar. 5 2010 at 8:55 pm
TheProphet GOLD, Antelope, California
14 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
Not only is the future unwritten, but it also belongs to us.

Lol, if I had a hat I'd tip it to you. It's very true that many artists (musical, literary, or otherwise) would look incomplete without at least one addiction.

on Mar. 4 2010 at 3:00 am
dopeboymaagic BRONZE, Girdwood, Alaska
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments
agdreed. we get treated younger then our age so why not act younger then our age. and the exuse me and my mate use to get high is

"im going to live forever, or at least die trying"

on Feb. 23 2010 at 4:23 pm
Cameron Speltz, San Ramon, California
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
All I can say is...amen.

I'd also like to add that a large portion of the claims about drugs and alcohol's effects on us are quite untrue. This isn't to say they're all false, but many are.

on Jan. 31 2010 at 6:05 pm
Alyssa(: PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado
20 articles 2 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when their right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust noone but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."
— Marilyn Monroe

Nicely written but my opinion is of course live your life to the fullest but don't shorten your life by being disruptfull and doing horrible things!

izz123 GOLD said...
on Jan. 31 2010 at 9:25 am
izz123 GOLD, Gaithersburg, Maryland
13 articles 5 photos 24 comments
Well written article. However, I cannot agree. It is true that people do things that are bad for them, like pigging out on junk food. This is bad, but in my opinion drugs reach another level. They attack not only your physical health, but mental health as well. Have you read Go Ask Alice?

on Jan. 31 2010 at 8:45 am
I definitely do not agree with most of this article, I guess I'm too far gone. Drugs, alcohol, and such are bad- sorry.

But there is still one thing in your little piece I still agree with- if they're gonna treat us like kids, why not act like one?

on Jan. 20 2010 at 6:16 pm
shhimhuntingrabbits BRONZE, North Port, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Perhaps you'd be taken more seriously if you wrote without the needless pauses and capitilizations. As it is, your comment if hard to read due to the numerous redundencies and errors.

KyleS BRONZE said...
on Jan. 19 2010 at 3:09 pm
KyleS BRONZE, Slidell, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I must indulge to truly see why it is you (the aged) condemn so harshly. We are products of our environment, so why not experience the the reason it is as it is?

I agree completely.

on Jan. 14 2010 at 8:57 pm
Rebecca Holmes BRONZE, Columbia, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments
thats true very true, but never give up. Just ask people for help, people you can trust (which sometimes feels like no one). Just keep on moving forward. Life is tough but anyone can be strong, just believe. Remember that even though they may have been the best times of your life, stopping has/will open up endless possibilities and opportunities of finding true happiness and true joy that you wouldn't have had with drugs. Ever.

on Jan. 14 2010 at 8:53 pm
Rebecca Holmes BRONZE, Columbia, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments
Thank you, i appreciate it. But I don't think tragedy is inevitable. Especially an inevitable part of art. Art is created from the soul, not tragedy.