WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING... | Teen Ink

WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

By OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

I know bad ratings are going to be inevitable (if anyone even reads this) but I hope that if you actually do give it a glance, you'll be able to see where I'm coming from. I understand the terrible affects that drink and drugs can have on our lives - but let's not forget the unforgettable and inspirational moments that they can provide...

on Jan. 13 2010 at 5:26 am
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

It's the eloquent, rational comments like yours that make me think posting this was worthwhile. Thank you. :)

on Jan. 12 2010 at 7:43 pm
*~*E.F*~* BRONZE, Cambridge, Other

1) Vini, Vidi, Vici (i came, i saw, i conquered)

thank you i'm glad that i'm not the only one who thinks this

on Jan. 12 2010 at 6:40 pm
shhimhuntingrabbits BRONZE, North Port, Florida
Wow. I for one am amazed that someone like you is one this excuse for a literary website. Sure, most of the stuff is trashy, stereotyped, and poorly typed, and this includes most people's comments. But you are brave enough to break the mold, and I agree one hundred percent. Yes drugs are bad for your body. They're also enjoyable. This is seen with even a basic education in chemistry. Sitting in front of the tv with a snickers is unhealthy, and it doesn't matter how often you do it. It's bad for you, and it's enjoyable. Drugs are the same, and someone dying from a heart attack due to obesity is no different that someone overdosing on heroin.

on Jan. 12 2010 at 12:34 am
XxHEARTLESSxX, The Ninth Circle, Florida

Burnin in water and drownin in flame, to prove you wrong and scare you away.

thanks, although im still not through the negative aspects of it, i'm doing much better. although i'm not going to say the times i did drugs weren't the best in my life, because that was really the only time i felt good. Depression doesn't help either. i know i have it much better than most, but shit , everyone has problems.

on Jan. 8 2010 at 9:09 pm
acousticalex BRONZE, Garland, Texas

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all." Oscar Wilde

Sorry for the double post, I meant to reply to a user and give my own opinion. I think you're very brave for posting this article. It's better for the masses to believe drugs, alcohol and cigarettes are a ticket to hell because they need shallow morality to function, but as any sort of intellectual or truth-seeker one must be aware of the fact that there is a good and bad side, at the very least, to everything. There are absolutely advantages to things that are physically destructive, and I commend you for shining the light on this fact.

on Jan. 8 2010 at 9:06 pm
acousticalex BRONZE, Garland, Texas

Tragedy is an inevitable part of art. Sorry for your loss.

on Jan. 8 2010 at 10:59 am
chrissyclarinetist BRONZE, Delta Junction, Alaska
wow everyone. calm down please. when i said "everyone" it was just a general term for the people who want to do drugs. i would never try and tell ANYONE what to do. its ur life. and i have mine. it is just MY opinion. u don't have to listen to it.

AndersN GOLD said...
on Jan. 7 2010 at 8:22 pm
AndersN GOLD, Park City, Utah

"I saw an angel in the marble and carved until I set him free." -Michelangelo

Yes! chrissyclarinetist, "EVERYONE needs to unwind"?!? Are you serious? Are you getting at the statement that EVERYONE should do drugs?!? And when we're teens?!? Seriously...

on Jan. 7 2010 at 8:05 pm
Rebecca Holmes BRONZE, Columbia, Pennsylvania
Life..is all i need!!!! :) I AGREE WITH YOU

on Jan. 7 2010 at 8:04 pm
You are exactly right..you are a proven example...if you need drugs and alcohol to "BE CREATIVE" ..then you have no talent! I mean seriously?!!! Continue NOT ruining your life and NOT doing drugs!!!! Be proud of yourself ..it's a good thing and it will get you far!!

on Jan. 7 2010 at 8:02 pm
ANDERSN..Thank you.. YOU're RIGHT.. people won't be laughing when they're dying at the age of 20...but i guess it's all fine and dandy if you have a minute of good feelings and can paint a picture that later will get puked on anyway...that would be a great life... right?"?

on Jan. 7 2010 at 7:58 pm
I'm proud that you've quit marajuana..congratulations, and I'm glad you realized what it did to you and that you didn't need it..many people don't realize that until it's too late.. good job

on Jan. 7 2010 at 7:54 pm
Unforgettable and Inspirational Moments they Bring?? So the night my uncle overdosed on cocaine and my grandpa found him laying on the floor with blood coving his dead body..that's supposed to be inspirational to me? Do you think that's funny. When my grandma was beat up and at our door steps in tears because she was so afraid of my addict of an uncle? Do you think that's funny? My Sister lost her life because of drugs and alcohol..is that inspirational? are you telling me that's cool? My mom grew up on welfare and with a family who didn't care about her because of Drugs....my aunt was abused to death by my dad's alcoholic brother. Oh please please don't tell me that's inspirational. I know you're trying to make a point but there is no way on earth that drugs and alcohol make life fun, and unforgettable. They ruined my life...And maybe you' ve been on the upside of it..but i sure haven't i've lost people I love because of it..so please don't tell me that drugs and alcohol and INSPIRATIONAL.. and Don't tell me that without them we'd have a horrible life..because all i know is that if there were no drugs.. my uncle would still be living..my grandma would be able to smile... my sister would of amazed the world with her talent..my mother wouldn't of had to worry how she'd get her next year...my uncle wouldn't be in jail..and my aunt would still be alive. Think about what you just said was INSPIRATIONAL.

AndersN GOLD said...
on Jan. 7 2010 at 4:01 pm
AndersN GOLD, Park City, Utah

Are you serious? Man, I'm not even talking to you. Drugs ruin lives.

on Jan. 7 2010 at 11:08 am
its not always because were depressed. it is fun. i dont care what anyone says. EVERYONE needs to unwind and indulge at some point in our lives. why not do it when were teenagers and its expected of us. thank you for writing this article. it made me smile to know im not alone out there :)

on Jan. 7 2010 at 3:49 am
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

I never suggested drugs were vital for creativity, but it is undeniable that for some creative people they are all part of the process of creation! And of course there are terrible downsides if you're unlucky enough to find yourself addicted, but that is the risk people take to have a laugh (which I know is stupid, but face it: people still do it). Please don't forget that I'm merely defending their choice to use hard drugs, not encouraging others or suggesting I do so also.

on Jan. 6 2010 at 4:57 pm
love&peace123 BRONZE, Pemberville, Ohio

" be who you are because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind "

I agree completely! I think we all realize what drugs, alcohol and smoking do to our bodies, but let's be realistic, it happens. I believe that "rebelling" once in a while is good. You can't always follow the rules, what's the fun in that?

on Jan. 6 2010 at 4:33 pm
HaleyPotter SILVER, Henderson, Nevada

erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.

Eventually you do build up some tolerance to it. Getting drunk depends on many factors anyways (gender, weight, etc.) Of course, the principle applies more to drugs when it comes to the "first high".

on Jan. 6 2010 at 3:20 am
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other

That's simply not true with drink (my main indulgence)! Are you suggesting you need more and more to get drunk everytime?

on Jan. 5 2010 at 5:37 pm
HaleyPotter SILVER, Henderson, Nevada

I like your pov, but I don't whole-heartedly agree with it. While it's good to .. indulge every one in a while, it's going to take more and more each time. The first time you try something - whether it be smoking, drinking, whatever - you're never going to get the same feeling again. It's going to take more and more; that's when the problem starts. That's when it's no longer okay to "indulge" because that's not what you're doing. You're addicted.