WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

Inkspired said...

I completely understand where you're coming from. And I couldn't disagree more. As a writer, and as all of us here are writers, I'm sure that none of us need drugs or cigarettes to write!! Obviously, a bit of alcohol or the occasional smoke isn't going to kill or hurt anyone, but drugs are just ridiculous. People die from 'just once'. They really do. And drugs aren't about having fun- you can have fun and be rebellious without drugs! Amazing! 

And though I und... (more »)

NotYoursFroever replied...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 4:07 pm :

OMG THIS ARGUMENT IS SO PETTY!

YOUR COMMENT WONT STOP THE WORLD FROM DOING DRUGS AND HER ARTICLE WONT FORCE PEOPLE TO START THEM.

THEY ARE SOME WORDS ON A WEBSITE.

honestly, I am ashamed to even have to be part of such a stupid argument.

people die from Major drugs, yes. 

People die from cars, yes.

people die from bullying, yes

people die from gluttony, yes

people die from having babies, yes

people die from drowning, yes

... (more »)

AmeliaTheStrange This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 5:15 pm :
I completely agree with everything you just said. Everyone has the right to choose what they will do with their life and make of themselves.

Inkspired replied...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 5:24 pm :
I did not tell anyone what to do with their lives, I only gave what I thought was good advice. I apologize if I offended anyone by trying to advise them not to ruin their lives, and give my opinion, just like the author of this piece was trying to do. 

OscarDonovan replied...
Nov. 13, 2010 at 6:10 pm :
*him :D, thanks for your comments!

EmilyDanyelle said...
Dude, honestly, I could not agree any more with you. I'm not saying "Oh go out and do heroin", but the occasional weed and sipage of a beer or two keeps teenage life interesting. The danger of getting caught, the thrill of doing illegal. What teenager doesn't love that? It's sickening that life isn't exciting enough to pull us away from that stuff. But it is what it is. 

FlyleafFreak replied...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 7:30 pm :
Again, there are plenty of other things to do to have a lot of fun besides drink and smoke. And you, just because something feels good, it makes it okay. Just because were teenagers, drinking is okay. How long are we going to lean on that? If you can't do anything else but smoke and drink to have a good time, then you have about three brain cells

SemiVeggie said...

Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous to me, I understand the concept of everything in moderation, but sometimes it just doesn't apply. There can be no moderation once you are inside the claws of an addictive drug.

Your big argument seems to be that we wouldn't have great art without drugs, and that teenagers deserve to have fun. First of all, I'm sure plenty of people have work on here that they wrote without the benefit of drugs, and I really can't picture Shakespeare on crack. And,... (more »)

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 5, 2010 at 8:36 am :

Although I do agree with you, Semi Veggie, that people shouldn't take drugs and the joy of writing is beyond that, I do have something to say about your comment. Shakespeare actually did drink, and he probably smoked, too. He may have been one of the world's greatest writers, but he wasn't really a good role model.

But other than that I do agree with your comment.

SemiVeggie replied...
Dec. 5, 2010 at 7:23 pm :

Fair enough, thanks for the heads up! :) However, (and here I'm assuming that by 'smoked' you mean nicotine) Shakespeare, as an adult, was perfectly within his legal right to drink/smoke. (And he may have not even had to be an adult, my knowledge of 16th century politics is a little shaky.) Teenage authors living in the US -- and a lot of other countries -- are not. My point was just that a lot of great authors have created their works without hallucination-inducing drugs, although histo... (more »)

IamtheStargirl said...

I want to live forever ;) Or at least die healthy. I would never want to die slowly wheezing, my liver a wreck, and from the complications of the strange substances I took all my life.

The things that you talk about, you don't have to use them to the point of excess and bad health. Moderation is the key. Because they are pleasurable, but not to the point of being unable to live without a high, and being staggeringly drunk all the time. Liquor, or at least, red wine, has been proved to ... (more »)

kao-chanu said...
do you think our parents and our mature adult figures tell us not to for no reason? Its because they have experienced it, or have witnessed how these things can ruin lives. they care about us and our futures, and are warning us out of love. think about it.

Opinionated replied...
Nov. 16, 2010 at 6:28 pm :

Read this carefully and with an open mind, please. Adults, no matter how old or how experienced, we are all different and have experienced different things. No adult knows everything, or is always right. Adults are nothing but us teens with more baggage and experience, but truly, no one adult knows much more than we do. 

We are living our lives, in our environment, learning things from what our choices, our time period and all else around us have brought us here. Our par... (more »)

kao-chanu said...
Your article is very well writen. In the aspect of a well written paper, you get an "A" in my opinion. Perfect grammar, sentance structure, and very persuasive. However, as for the topic point of view, i have to strongly disagree. What happens when you do drugs or drink now, then become addicted? When your a mature adult, youll regret it. I know most of the kids in my school, and most of my friends in my social circle believe your point. Im glad i matured before the decision to do drugs ever cam... (more »)

artist22 said...
I totally understand your point of view, as I know tons of teens that will agree with you. Just about everyone dabbles in these vices. I'm one of the rare exceptions who hasn't, but I respect what you have to say and it's true that trying to brainwash kids about drugs and alcohol doesn't stop them when they become teens. I just hope that all teens out there are responsible though, because these vices are of course very dangerous and we all know teens who have died from drug/alcohol related accid... (more »)

Meago said...

Ok. I don't quite know what to say... I half way understand where you're coming from. But, at the same time- What the crap? One of my friends was drinking "for the pure hell of it" and got in a car drunk.. because he felt he could do anything and survive. He died that night... because he didn't listen. And what if he wrecked into another car and killed some little child's mommy?

I agree we all need our 'stupid' moments, but being a druggie is no way to live. I think that a night on the... (more »)

skywalker-22 said...
I completely agree with this. Whats the point in continually telling people that these things are bad, when people are going to do them anyway? No one has ever cared before if a cigarette is hazardous to their health, so why would they care now? Let people make their own decisions and live their own lives. Its their right as human beings.

Allie97 replied...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 6:32 pm :
this was well written...but i completely disagree. teachers/parents/our elders say this stuff to warn us...i mean they have to say it just to try to get the point across...and if you really want to waste away your life puffing a cigarette or doing drugs or something then im surprised you havent been taken by natural selection already.

Dr.Jones This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I agree in the general sense that we all need a vice or two.

It's what keeps us sane, it's what keeps us creative.

DaydreamBeliever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i agree with you. everything is okay in moderation. that would be a hard thing for schools to teach though, because at our age most people just dont know when to stop.