Noticing Police Brutality | Teen Ink

Noticing Police Brutality

By AustinHung BRONZE, San Mateo, California
AustinHung BRONZE, San Mateo, California

Why are African-American athletes kneeling during the national anthem? They are doing this because they want to show a sign. These athletes are trying to stop police brutality against black Americans. The black athletes that were kneeling during the anthem noticed that there weren’t any white players kneeling. Police brutality is a big problem in our society. Many people don’t take action, so these respected athletes have to show that they care. When these athletes kneeled down during the national anthem, they got a lot of hate because they were supposedly “disrespecting the country”. By kneeling, these athletes were showing respect to all the victims of police brutality. They weren’t “disrespecting the flag, the athletes were showing their respect and love to all the victims. The athletes were trying to raise awareness, too. These athletes shouldn’t be getting all this hate, they should receive supporters. Kneeling during the anthem is a big statement and should be treated with respect. Donald Trump didn’t like that these athletes were kneeling down during the anthem. He sent out a bunch of tweets just to criticize them for kneeling. The president shouldn’t have done this because criticized them because these athletes were only showing respect to all the victims of police brutality. It is a very real topic and it shouldn’t be avoided. Police brutality isn’t a problem in the United States, it is a worldwide problem. There have been many accounts of police misconduct. This involves unnecessary violence from police. The police misuse their power and people should find a way to stop it. Athletes kneeling during the anthem is only the beginning. Hopefully in the future, the police will not resort to unnecessary violence and hopefully more people will speak up for what they believe in.

Police brutality is a big problem. We should monitor our cops.