Why Now Is a Great Time To Be a Girl | Teen Ink

Why Now Is a Great Time To Be a Girl

January 23, 2017
By SupahAce15 PLATINUM, Marietta, Georgia
SupahAce15 PLATINUM, Marietta, Georgia
47 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde


“Well behaved women seldom make history.” This quote alone could help define how society and the world saw women. Second-class citizens who shouldn't be making waves and stick to being quiet. For hundreds of years, women were seen as property and were often considered beautiful baby-makers. They suffered from constant injustices in almost every aspect of their lives. Luckily it didn't stop strong women like Queen Elizabeth, Harriet Tubman, Margaret Thatcher, Susan B. Anthony, Rosa Parks, Amelia Earhart, Benazir Bhutto, and many others from making their mark on the world. Now in this day and age, we are also dealing with injustices, but in a different format. Today we are overlooked for opportunities just because we are woman, in our careers we are underpaid in comparison to our male counterparts, and are sometimes seen as sexual objects that can't possibly understand how the world works. Despite this, we continue to make strides for women's rights and equality everywhere. Feminism is growing stronger and stronger every day, as more people realize women are just as vital as men. From music to politics, we're letting it be known that women will no longer be silent.

Music has never been more empowering for women and girls than it is right now. Newcomer like the soulful Alessia Cara, whose song, “Scars To Your Beautiful” emphasizes the issues with women's body image. Too often the media and magazines tell women they need to look a certain way, or be a certain weight when in reality women are beautiful and sensational the way they are. Then there is the marvelous Daya whose song, “Sit Still Look Pretty” claps back at the notion that girls need boys approval and that girls need boys. Girls are more than capable of taking care of themselves. If we want a boy, it's because we want a boy, not because we need one. Next is Fifth Harmony with songs like “Bo$$” and “That's My Girl” which remind girls that we are strong, confident and can handle business ourselves. Of course we can't forget about an OG like Jennifer Lopez with her song “Ain't Your Mama” talks about how relationships get complacent and how men sometimes can use their wives and girlfriends as surrogates for their mothers. To quote J.Lo, “When did you get too comfortable? Cause I'm too good for that.”It helps women remember that we are not just objects or housewives. We can get jobs if we want to or we can stay home. It's our choice. Finally there is Beyonce, who has spent a big part of her career singing not only about the struggles of being a woman but also how women can fight society's expectations. With songs like “If I Were A Boy” which talk about the double standards in relationships, “Diva” which shows us how to be glamorous and successful women, and “Run This World(Girls)” which encompasses how women are independent, strong, fierce, and intelligent while having a female army in the music video.

Of course the music industry isn't the only place where strong female voices are heard. All around the world, women are getting more and more involved with politics. Like Angela Merkel, Germany’s Chancellor. She was elected in 2005 and has helped the E.U’s 14.8 trillion economy. Now she is currently working on stabilizing the E.U’s members. Next is Yingluck Shinawatra, former Prime Minister of Thailand who negotiated peace between two rival political parties. Then there's Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf who is stepping down after serving 10 years as President of Liberia. She was the first female to hold that position.During her presidency, she rebuilt infrastructure while fighting for women's rights. But it's not just foreign countries that have fierce female politicians. Even in our own backyard, there's a growing number of female politicians. Nancy Pelosi, who has tirelessly worked for women's rights, LGBT rights and so much more as a representative for California’s 28th district, and as the first female Speaker of the House of Representatives. Then there's Elizabeth Warren, who was a Massachusetts Senator, Special Advisor and Chair on the Congressional Oversight Panel. Even Kamala Harris, who was the first Asian-American, Jamaican-American, and the first Indian-American to be elected attorney general in California and is currently a senator. Finally Hillary Clinton, a First Lady, Senator, Secretary of State, and even a presidential candidate. Even though she didn't win the presidency, I'm proud to live in a time where she could have won. In a time, where a woman was almost President of the United States.

I know we still have a long way to go. There are plenty of misogynists and chauvinistic people that want us to go back to being “Well-behaved women,” for us to sit on the sidelines. To that I say, “In your dreams.” The time has come for Girl power to shine like it's the sun. No longer will we sit quietly and do nothing. No longer will we accept “you're a girl” as an excuse or a weakness. We are loud, we are proud and we are not going anywhere. History has a lot of great women, but it doesn't hurt to add a lot more. After all, when women hear “we can't,” we do.