Immigration | Teen Ink

Immigration

January 27, 2016
By Mirsia BRONZE, Austin, Texas
Mirsia BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Being immigrant does not mean that you are not a human, because there is no difference from being an immigrant from being a human, because immigrant are human too.

Some of my question that might be your questions too are: Why are immigrants treated differently? Why do immigrants not have the same rights as US citizens? Why is there a border separating immigrants, why can't immigrants  just be free like US citizens?. I feel like people don't know the real story behind an immigrant. This is a real immigrant story:

You know sometimes it can get hard not having papers. I was brought to the U.S. at the age 3 because my mom saw a better future for me there. We lived in my uncle’s house with his family which are legal. My mom worked really hard for me to have everything I needed. However she fell in love with my step-dad and so we moved together as a family with his daughter and two sons. At first he treated me well but then became so fake to me. I thought that I would actually have someone to care for me and call him my dad. I’m 13 and this immigration stuff gets to me every day. I just want to go back home with my real family. (I’m an only child if you were wondering)
Guadalupe
Michigan 

My father is 52 years old now. He entered The US at the age of 16 with a 3rd grade education. He has always been a hard worker and had been trying to obtain residency since I could remember. He was deported 4 years ago. My younger brothers were 2 and 16 at the time and I was 20. My brother got a job to help pay bills along with me and my older sister. My 2 year old brother is going to be 7 now and barely even knows who our dad is. I have helped raise him and took both of my brothers under my wing. I graduated from a technical college the year he was deported and now I am back in college and plan to obtain a degree in teaching. My father didn’t raise criminals, he set examples of what hard work can accomplish. We never received government help and he always paid his taxes. So my question is why not look further into his history here rather than just assume anybody here “illegally,” is in fact not worthy of living and thriving in this unjust but beautiful country.
Richard
Dallas, TX

My father was heading to work when the immigration was waiting for him. They had a warrant for him. They took him even though he has been living here for 40+ years. Now he can’t see his newborn grandson, nor me or my brother including my little sister. My parents are divorced and who is she supposed to give her advice, give her that comfort that my father did? He paid all of his taxes, did everything by the book. I just can’t believe this is what we call justice in America. This isn’t the land of the free anymore. My father is my role model he raised me and my older brother by himself. I just can’t believe how they can do this to an innocent man. He’s been in the immigration holding facilities for a year now!
Alejandro
Pasadena, Texas

My dad was deported when I was 16 years old. I know he is somewhere in the Dominican Republic, if he is still alive. I try not to think about it too much because there are so many questions and nobody to answer them. I’m now 22 years old and sometimes, I wonder where he is and what he is doing. I know that he would be proud of me getting my bachelor’s degree and becoming a teacher and coach. Even though I don’t have a good relationship with my mother and only lived with my father for a few years, I thank them wholeheartedly for their sacrifices. They had no idea where I would be at 22, but it was thanks to them that I was born and raised in a place with unlimited opportunities.
Emilia
Lawrence, MA

If the president and other people actually took time and read this stories his opinion about immigrants will probably change. In my opinion i think everyone should have equal right and not be judged by how they look or were they were born. Just because someone is an immigrant it doesn't mean they are criminals or they are mean people, like Richard’s story said “My father didn’t raise criminals, he set examples of what hard work can accomplish.”  I think other people don't really know that immigrants don't raise criminals they actually make examples of hard workers , and that's why they come to the US because like Emilia said “A place with unlimited opportunities.”  I think instead of just making immigrants illegal they should actually take their time and read some of the immigrants story because it can change your opinion and change people's life.

Where i got my stories: myimmigrationstory.com


The author's comments:

My piece was about immigrants and how they cross the border for a better life and how other people that are not immigrants think that they are criminals