Same Love | Teen Ink

Same Love

I don’t like it when people aren’t allowed to be who they are.  I don’t like when people are denied the freedom of living their lives in the way they so choose.  This happens far too often in this country.  Certain groups of people have to fight for equality.  Just to be the same as everyone else.  Just because they’re a different color skin, or because they are women, or in the case of this essay, because they are homosexual.  Same sex marriage needs to be allowed in the entirety of the United States because even though this specific sector of discrimination is not expressly stated as an illegal or unconstitutional act, it is morally repugnant and disgustingly inconsiderate.

When you think about what marriage is, and what is really means, its two people, who in this scary, enormous, crazy world of ours have found someone special enough to pledge their lives to; to love and comfort for ever. Based on that, why should it make a difference if it is a lock between two men or two women, rather than one man and one woman?  I mean this is no better than the 1960’s when African Americans couldn’t go out to eat in the same restaurants, or go to the bathroom in the same places as white people.  Straight people can get married and gay people can’t.  Why is that fair?

People who argue the case of same sex marriage often say that it is ‘Unnatural,” or that it “goes against the bible.”  If it is so unnatural, can you explain why there are wild animals who mate with other specimen of the same gender?  According to the studies of Bruce Bagemihl, notable researcher and author, there are documented cases of homosexual behavior in over 1500 different species, in all 5 phyla of the animal Kingdom.  And this nation abides by the freedom of religion, so just because such an act goes against your religion, that doesn’t make it illegal.  In fact, using your religion to dictate political actions would be the unconstitutional thing to do in this situation.

The love that Adam and eve share, is the same love that Adam and Steve share, which is the same love that Roy and Silo, the gay penguins at the central park zoo share.  When you love someone, you love someone, disregarding skin color, or gender, or religious affiliation.  And if a marriage doesn’t have love, it can’t really have anything else.  So open your mind.  Realize that you can’t control the fact that people of the same gender will fall in love.  Love is the most natural thing we can do as humans, so why try to stop it?

I was inspired to write this piece after my sisters best friend came out as bisexual.  I was never against same sex marriage before this, but upon hearing it, I felt compelled to write this.