Invisible Racism | Teen Ink

Invisible Racism

By mcskittle BRONZE, Derby, Connecticut
mcskittle BRONZE, Derby, Connecticut

"I can do all things from Him who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Despite everything that has been done, racism still exists today. When people think of racism, they think of whites discriminating against blacks. What most forget though, is that it occurs between all races. From what I've experienced and witnessed, Asians are often made fun of more than any other race.

The biggest misconception is that not all Asains are Chinese. We all don't work at a chinese restaurant and eat pork fried rice all day. I hate sitting in math class and everytime I get a good grade someone has to say "It's because you're asian, you guys are all good at math." Even teachers show racism of sorts. Many times my teachers have confused me for another asian student. When this happens, everyone laughs, so I join in. On the inside, it actually does piss me off sometimes. Not all asians are the same.

What makes the least sense for me is when blacks make fun of asians. You would think that blacks, who know how it feels to get the short end of the stick, would be that last ones to make fun of another ethnicity. Nobody can make fun of a black person because that is seen as a horrible thing, but should that allow them to bully Asians ?

The moral of this is that racism is not just with whites and blacks. All races are discriminated against. 

I just feel that people should be aware that racial discrimination for any race is just wrong. 

Exactly the point no one else seems to get. As you said when most people think of racism, they think of white on black. When in reality, racism is any kind of prejudice or hatred to an ethnic group. There is such a thing as black on white racism, asian on hispanic, white on indian, you name whatever combination of any ethnic groups, the racism does exist. I'm sick of people thinking only white on black is racism.