Women in Technology | Teen Ink

Women in Technology

November 9, 2014
By Cfleet2397 BRONZE, Newport Beach, California
Cfleet2397 BRONZE, Newport Beach, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Men have always dominated the technology field, regardless of the various technological advancements women have achieved in the past decade. The technology industry is not only competitive, but also extremely stereotypical: women have always been regarded as consumers while men have been given the title of “producers.” However, by implementing programs such as Women in Technology and Girls Who Code, we are now able to encourage women of all ages to become more involved in the technology field and show that they are just as worthy of the profession as any male employee.

 

Women’s involvement in technology has become overwhelmingly popular over the last few years, yet the stereotypes for women who pursue a technology-based occupation are still present. Research has shown that because of these stereotypes, women are less likely to enroll in science, technology, and engineering classes in schools, explaining why only about 12% of computer science majors are women. This statistic has been recognized by many technology gurus such as Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates, who have recently collaborated to create Code.org, a non-profit website that encourages students of all ages, regardless of gender, to become more involved in the computer coding community. Although organizations such as Code.org have been popular, they have not been able to completely abolish stereotypes about women in technology.

 

Fortunately, many young women are now participating in computer coding as a result of programs that have been established by women for women, such as Girls Who Code and Women in Technology. Although many would think that classes taught by women specifically for other women would prevent interaction among genders, these programs have helped women advanced in the technology field at their own pace. Girls Who Code is a fairly recent establishment that was once comprised of 20 women, but is now home to more than 3,000 female computer coders. In order to promote women’s roles in technology, Girls Who Code holds seven-week summer camps every year to teach young girls computer coding and processing. Although organizations like Girls Who Code are rare, they are becoming more common as the gap between women and technology begins to close. This summer workshop has ignited the creation of many similar organizations, and has led to an increasing number of positions for women in the technology field.

 

As women begin to work their way up in the technology world, more positions and opportunities are becoming available to them. Some believe that men will always be favored in the work force, but today, it is more common for companies to recruit female employees instead. To help encourage women to participate in technology-related roles, Google recently started a new website called Made With Code, which offers free programming lessons to girls interested in computer engineering. In addition to these free workshops, Google has donated more than 50 million dollars to organizations that support women in technology, including Girls Who Code, in hopes of expanding the female population in the technology community.

 

Companies like Girls Who Code have not only helped young women explore the world of computer coding and programming, but have also educated girls on problem solving skills. This initiative has resulted in many high schools implementing their own computer engineering classes, many of which are single-sex, to help better prepare women for when they enter the technology workforce. Although 90% of schools do not offer computer science courses, the establishment of Girls Who Code and similar organizations has led to an increase in the popularity in technology-related occupations for women.

 

In spite of the gender stereotypes that exist in a field that has always been controlled by men, women have been able to accomplish great technological advancements and maintain high positions in technology-related careers. Women have proven that they are very capable of working in a community where they are constantly judged and criticized by those who believe women are merely “consumers.” Due to the great support women have received upon entering technology professions more recently, it is not surprising that many of the great leaders and contributors to technology today are women.