Shame on You | Teen Ink

Shame on You

By 19sbai BRONZE, Toledo, Ohio
19sbai BRONZE, Toledo, Ohio

A little girl who grew up always being told she was "different" and "exotic" and feeling like they didn't tell her everything. Like a secret. She didn't know and was lost and confused in her own body and personality. Growing up, going to high school, dating boys, just being a girl—still different. Then she realized do I even like men? What does this mean? Is this normal? Who should I tell? When should I tell? She came to her senses and did her research and labeled herself a homosexual.

Being gay has been shamed, shut out, labeled totally unacceptable and "sinful". Being gay is nothing other than a choice of who you decide to love. Of course I have my opinions and others have theirs but to me, it is your choice. Who is to tell you that you can't do what you want or marry who you want?

Shame is never the answer just because you don't believe in something someone else does. It is a matter of how to treat people. These are the same actions of hate that have been thrown towards races, religions, cultures, and a people's identities. Why? Just so someone can feel like they are right or wrong? Or so they can feel as if they rule their world? It's time to get off of your high horse because the world is changing and no one person was put in charge of this world.

We are always going to have those ignorant people that don't know what is right or wrong but they have a set in stone belief. And I know that we can't control those people or change their minds but I'm just trying to point out that is not fair for human to be treated like that  for something—in my opinion—they cannot control.

Gay, straight, transgender, pansexual, bisexual, black, white, Christian, or Jewish a person is a person who is not to be shamed or hated but to be treated as the human being they are. Shame on them? No. Shame on you.