"That's so not Jewish" | Teen Ink

"That's so not Jewish"

September 18, 2013
By Shelli Gorokhovsky GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Shelli Gorokhovsky GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments

“That’s so Jewish.” No, I do not catch these offences every time they are thrown at anybody, because to the crowd, it’s just a funny joke. No matter what anybody says to me about being Jewish I still like Judaism and I will not hate them for saying this and I will not be embarrassed about what I am. No matter what heritage you come from, there will always be stereotypes that hit you like a hard punch in the face at times, and at other times, you’ll just laugh about it. Hillel Zand, author of the article “Pride and Prejudice”, makes a great point when saying that she will always be a Jew, but immature kids do not need to make fun of where she comes from because she is bothered by this.

Of course, I would definitely agree when Hillel says that these she wants her friends to give her and her culture the same amount of respect she’d give them in this case. But, I would like to tell her that although these ignorant jokes may bother her, she should keep her head up high and remember that these jokes do not say anything about her. The things that people say are only stereotypes; they could be false, but these saying are what people have come to know about your faith. Do not be ashamed or offended. Instead, confront them about it. Tell them exactly how you feel and that they need to stop making these jokes. How you feel about yourself and where you come from is the most important thing. Hillel taught me, and many others, that when people say something like “that’s so Jewish” you should be proud about it because it’s who you are.