Feminist or not? | Teen Ink

Feminist or not?

Feminism has taken the world by storm. Wikipedia says Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. Today women are allowed to go out and work and earn their living, the old lifestyle has taken a beating. There are no two ways to the fact that women are strong and independent. They possess every virtue which is important to survive this world. But one tiny question lurks in my mind, is it that through the curtains of feminism that we are promoting masculinity? Why is it that women want to do what was supposed to previously be men’s work; why is it that they cannot earn respect in whatever else they choose to do? Is it important for a female to convert and feel like a male in order to be proud of herself? The society now feels that women who don’t go out to work are worthless, that they are not independent or fearless enough. It is not a secret that every house needs a caretaker. Every home is the mirror of society and women or men need to make it strong. I am not supporting the fact that women need to stay at home, I just want the independence to choose. The same is the case with men, why does everyone need to follow a certain path in life? I am a girl and sometimes when even the thought of becoming a homemaker crosses my mind, I berate myself for not being ambitious enough. There is a permanent thought in my mind that to be something, I must work, and being a ‘housewife’ isn’t work. That makes me wonder, why do we always look down upon what women do, why is it that we do not consider their primitive role as work? I think the society has made me inferior by telling me to ‘man up’. I don’t want to ‘man up’. I want to be taken care of, and to take care. But well, I may not do as I like.

A call for freedom from the society's shackles. I hope my voice finds it's end.

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

OMG this is so accurate, and I've always thought the same thing. Nobody who looks at what my mom does would say it's easy. Good article.

NarutosimG GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
Speak My Sister Open Are Sister Eyes! To See What They Have Done To Us And Themselves! And Let Are Brothers Know We Still Standing And Won't Be Knock Down So Easy!