We love you too... Or at least we should. | Teen Ink

We love you too... Or at least we should.

By Shrug2777 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
Shrug2777 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

"That's what they all say. Everyone says they want to know you, but they don't. They want to know the nice things, the pretty things. No one wants to know the ugly parts, the parts that keep you up at night."
- Chelsea M. Cameron

Love your neighbor as yourself. I imagine it's one of the most quoted verses of the bible. Whether you're religious or not, you've probably heard it before. But people often question what it exactly it means. Does it include our enemies? What about that one weird kid no one talks to, the social outcast? Does that apply to our annoying siblings? What about our parents? The answer to those question is yes. Your neighbor is everyone you come into contact with either directly or indirectly. Most people-especially Christians-can agree on that. but their seems to be some debate when it come to loving your neighbors who are gay.

Now before you - the reader - jump to conclusions: Yes, I am a Christian. No, I am not trying to start an argument over gay marriage or gay rights. I'd rather set that aside for another day. Instead, I wish to express my disgust with many Christians I have encountered and would like to propose the way things should be when it comes to the church and homosexuality. I am sick and tired of hearing churches continually preaching on homosexuality and how it is evil land how homosexuals are going to hell. It is overdone and in my opinion, done wrongly. Too often churches and Christians condemn the homosexual lifestyle. They focus on verses such as Leviticus 18:22, Romans 1:24-28, and Genesis 19:5-8. Note: These verses are held in both the Old Testament and the New Testament. But they seem to blind themselves to the verses which talk of salvation and love and compassion. They disproportionately focus messages of condemnation on homosexuals. I read somewhere - don't remember where - that a church will sooner open it's arms to an adulterous man of 5 years, than welcome a homosexual into its doors. And that just doesn't sound right to me. After all, are all sins not equal before the eyes of God? Lying is no better than murdering someone, which is no worse than being gay.

Am I saying Christians should abandon their faith and condone the lifestyle? No. Not at all. But as someone who is both a Christian and gay, I'm calling for apologies and acceptance. Rather than continuing to show the gay community the same hatred, try some compassion for a change. Try seeing the commonalities rather than the differences. Try loving your gay neighbor. It won't kill Christians to talk to someone or socialize with someone who is gay. I have yet to hear of any of my Christian peers or mentors dying from interacting with me! Granted, I have yet to "come out" - but that's another more complicated story. This has already gone on longer than intended so I'll attempt to sum this up. Christians need to step up and take responsibility for their actions. They need to stop damning gays and start loving them. Yes, love. When did things get so complicated? We Christians boast about the loving and merciful God. Why are we so different? Can we not love and show mercy? There's already too much evil in the world. Christians don't need to be adding to it.

I've had enough of seeing so many Christians - including my family - being hypocrites when they choose to hate homosexuals because they live a life of sin. Don't we all?