Bipolar Disorder | Teen Ink

Bipolar Disorder

February 11, 2013
By bennyBOY2 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
bennyBOY2 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Bipolar disorder is a neurobiological brain disorder that affects 2.3 million Americans today, or almost 1% of the population. About 5.7 million U.S. adults are living with bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder affects men and women equally, as well as all races, ethnic groups, and socioeconomics classes. Many people today discriminate against bipolar disorder because they don't understand the illness actually is.

Bipolar disorder is a serious mental illness that is characterized by extreme changes in mood, from mania to depression. It can lead to risky behavior, damaged relationships and careers, and even suicidal tendencies if it's not treated. Suicide is the number one cause of premature death among people with bipolar disorder, with 15 to 17 percent taking their own lives as a result of negative symptoms that come from untreated illness. The WebMD states, that doctors don't completely understand the causes of bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder often runs in families, and researchers believe there is genetic component. Although bipolar disorder cannot be prevented, early recognition of bipolar warning signs and seeing your doctor regularly can allow you to monitor you mood and medications and keep the illness from escalating. According to the mental illness policy organization, people with bipolar disorder consult three to four doctors and spend more than eight years seeking treatment before they receive a correct diagnosis. Not only are there facts to back up this condition, there are also real life examples.

There are many people out in the world that are affected by bipolar disorder. For example, Beethoven had bipolar disorder and he was considered one of the most prominent composers in history. Ludwig van Beethoven is a key figure in the relationship between bipolar disorder and the intense creativity characteristic. A sufferer of deafness, Beethoven composed significant musical history still heard today. His bipolar disorder symptoms, while impacted the world for years, may have attributed to his death through his abuse of alcohol which ultimately resulted in his demise. Another example, is Robert Downey Jr. He was born in 1965 and worked in a variety of television and movie debuts including “Saturday Night Live.” Robert Downey, Jr. suffers from bipolar symptoms which attribute to a historical use of alcohol and drugs. Now, since we looked at the negative side of bipolar disorder, lets take a look at the positive side or solutions.

Curing bipolar may be impossible, but finding solutions is a possibility. One possible solution is hope. With good symptom management, it is possible to experience long periods of wellness. Believing that you can cope with your mood disorder is both accurate and essential to recovery. Having a personal responsibility is also a good solution to recovery. It is up to you to take action to keep your moods stabilized. This includes asking for help from others when you need it, taking your medication as prescribed and keeping up appointments with your health care providers. Education is essential too. Learn all you can about your illness. This allows you to make informed decisions about all aspects of your life and treatment. All in all, support is probably the most important solution. Working toward your wellness is up to you. However, support from others is essential to maintaining your stability and enhancing the quality of your life.

In conclusion, I hope you understand what bipolar disorder is and how to come up with solutions if you have bipolar disorder. If you know anyone that has bipolar disorder, make sure that they are in a safe environment and that you tell them that everything is going to be okay. The best thing to do with someone that has bipolar disorder is to give support.


Works Cited

"Bipolar Disorder: Overview & Facts." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2013.
"Bipolar Facts, Symptoms, Treatments, Recovery Rates." Bipolar Facts, Symptoms, Treatments, Recovery Rates. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2013.
Cadena, Christine. "Bipolar Disorder & the Creative Impact on Society." Yahoo! Contributor Network. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2013.
Smith, Melinda, M.A., Jeanne Segal, Ph.D, and Robert Segal, M.A. "Bipolar Support and Self-Help." : Living with Bipolar Disorder. N.p., Dec. 2012. Web. 08 Feb. 2013.