Racism | Teen Ink

Racism

By KrazyKyle98 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
KrazyKyle98 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing right." -Hunter S. Thompson

The belief that certain races of people are by birth and nature superior to others using discrimination or hatred is the definition of racism. Racism eats away at people’s lives and provides a large amount of discrimination. Racial prejudice has brought miserable changes to how people express themselves and has not only been used verbally, but mentally as a disease. Although racism is perceived as a shameful wrong doing, it has also brought a new future and contributed to how this society was created. People use racial discrimination in many different ways which can stretch our efforts of stopping it further.

Racial prejudice relates to an insidious moral and social disease affecting people all over the planet. This disease is diagnosed by the arrangement of its many symptoms which include fear, intolerance, separation, segregation, discrimination, and hatred. This can be displayed in numerous situations like sports, school, jobs, and more. Whenever there is a disease like racism being spread, you will know that this environment does not stop the prejudice against racism or is just ignoring it. Racism needs to be cured and if it isn’t handled properly then many people can get infected. Not only does racism need to be cured, it has to stay cured and be prevented from coming back.

Racial prejudice has plagued the earth for centuries and created huge conflicts. Even though these racial outbreaks have occurred, the construction of our modern society was formed from it. In the mid 1800’s many people owned African-American slaves to work for them. When the amount of slaves grew, the more people noticed the issues. Changes were trying to be made and resulted in a civil war which later changed how this country treats people’s rights. In the 1940's the world was at war again. A big part of the war was Nazi Germany's Holocaust where many Jewish civilians were killed because of their race and religion. More recently was the civil rights movement in the 1960's with Martin Luther King Jr. He and all of his supporters were fighting for an equal chance at life for those of a different race and brought racial discrimination down lower than it had ever been. After these events racism has decreased, but hasn't quite been erased from society and still creates a foot print on us.

In order to alienate racism, taking the time to learn and recognize racial prejudice can be a key factor in eliminating the disease. By achieving the recognition of racism, an individual can spot out racial discrimination in society and stop the participant. By joining anti-racism organization people can be taught of how important this discrimination is. Getting to know victims and personal experiences may also show an individual how the racial disease has changed their life. Many forms of racial discrimination are out in society and by defining ways to edit out these flaws in the community people can improve and become more mentally safe. Not only will it help one individual, but a whole nation.

In conclusion to the disease of racism has a large toll on a person by infecting them with fear and intolerance. As this issue may grow, it also can be eliminated by participation and understanding. Just by learning and recognizing the discrimination can give more knowledge of stopping it. Capturing the symptoms and preserving the history of how the world came to be will give a better apprehension of racism. Taking part in a effort against racism can reduce its effect one step at a time. Only by taking time to cure this disease can it be stopped and it can start with one person’s actions.
Merriam-Webster's Intermediate Dictionary. Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 1994. Print.
"Race/Color Discrimination." Race/Color Discrimination. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2013.
"Racial Prejudice." AllAboutPopularIssues.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2013.
"What Can We Do to Stop Racism?" Lets-stop-racism.tripod.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Feb. 2013.

8th grade English project on the world issue of racism.