Gender Neutral Restrooms | Teen Ink

Gender Neutral Restrooms

November 4, 2012
By Melanie Rivera BRONZE, Sharon, Connecticut
Melanie Rivera BRONZE, Sharon, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Most transgender feel as if going into a restroom is full of anxiety, the constant threat of harassment, and even violence. This is why I believe that one way that would make the situation more of a comfort is if there were gender neutral restrooms everywhere, and given the chance, would be beneficial to our society.

Gender neutral restrooms may not seem like a necessary change, but those who are transgender or have gender dysphoria would feel more comfortable having a neutral place nearby. Some feel as if going to the restroom they identify with sometimes leads to unwanted glances and in some cases, acts of is why I believe that gender neutral restrooms are needed, because it would give a sense of comfort knowing that there won't be any unwanted attacks.

It has been shown that twenty-six percent of transgender students are denied access to the appropriate restrooms in school and twenty- two percent in their own workplace. Therefore, having the option of a gender neutral restroom would make difficult situations easier. There's even a quote that that dictates the difficulty in which people with gender dysphoria feel when it comes to this issue, " If we go into one bathroom, we might get beat up, and if we go into the other we might get yelled at." They find it difficult to use the restroom they want because they know there might be a chance of being ridiculed. This shows that having neutral restrooms would help in establishing a comfortable environment where they are accepted.