The Truth About Gay Discrimination

Recently, I’ve been hearing many different reasons why gays, lesbians, and bisexuals shouldn’t have rights in America. They vary in credibility and approach, but I have yet to hear one to convince me that they shouldn’t be gay or have rights.

One reason, is that the definition of marriage is between a man and a woman. Marriage is a concept invented by humans. We define marriage. Definitions are changed quite frequently to include other things. An ironically good example is the word gay. Originally it meant to be merry or happy. Nowadays it more frequently means homosexual. There’s been a huge movement recently to increase gay rights. This means that there is an ever growing population that thinks that definitions need to be changed. America is a democracy. We are ruled by the majority. When the majority of people agree that gays should marry, the law banning gay marriage needs to change immediately. Some states have already made the leap, but can we as a country?

The second reason, is that it’s immoral. Morals vary from person to person, so why should your personal set of morals apply to someone else? I have nothing against morals; they are a very good basis for many of our laws. I think it’s immoral to kill someone, and when you commit murder, you go to jail. However, gays didn’t commit murder. I don’t think it’s immoral to be gay at all. By being gay, you don’t hurt anyone around you. So why is it wrong? Also, many people’s reason for it being immoral is because their religion is against it. But this is America, is it not? There’s a separation of church and state. Just because the Bible or the Qur’an says that it is wrong, does that mean that religions should influence our laws? If they do, then we should include all religions in that decision. Do you really want laws to be made that way? In addition to that, gays aren’t trying to legalize religious marriages. They’re trying to legalize state marriages. You know, where you get married in a courthouse? So religion shouldn’t be involved anyway. Religions can keep refusing to recognize gay marriages if they so choose.

The third reason, is that it will reduce the human population. If everyone is gay, then there will be no children and we will eventually go extinct, according to some people. Gays, lesbians, and bisexuals make up a very small percentage of the population. They have very little to no effect on the human population. It’s highly unlikely that the rest of the population is going to become gay anytime in the near future. So their effect is insignificant. And I don’t see what banning gay marriage is going to do to change that. They will continue being gay regardless. May I also point out, that the world population has topped seven billion? If anything, a reduction in population would be good for the rest of the world.

The fourth reason, is that they are detrimental to society. Some people think that being gay is a mental illness. This has not been proven to my knowledge. They also believe that gays are more likely to become ill with STD’s because of the nature of the relationship, and that gays are promiscuous and engage in risky sexual behaviors. It is true, that AIDS was first discovered in gays. But it is not limited to gays is it? Straight couples can get it just as easily. Also, things like condoms have been invented to help protect against sexual diseases. Gays are quite capable of using them for safe sex. As for them being promiscuous, all the gays, lesbians, and bisexuals I’ve met are looking for love just the same as we do. They are interested in a serious relationship with their partner and only their partner. Maybe some of them are promiscuous. But aren’t there promiscuous straight people? There are strip clubs that you can go to if you’re of age. There are movies rated R for a reason and it’s not because of the violence. Do they engage in risky sexual behaviors? Maybe some of them, but then again, they aren’t alone in that area. There are straight couples who do the same thing.

Altogether, these reasons merely look like an excuse to me for continued discrimination against gays, lesbians, and bisexuals. There is no valid reason under the law why they shouldn’t expand their rights. I’m not trying to force anything down people’s throats. I don’t ask people to change their opinion that homosexuality is wrong, merely that they tolerate people who think differently. The continued banning of gay rights is forcing their views on gays. Banning gay marriage prevents them on a personal level from spending the rest of their life with the person they love. Legalizing it doesn’t force straight people to marry someone of the same gender. I hope that people will finally grant homosexuals their rights and live up to the freedom that America promises its citizens.

TheSihlouettedManThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 12 at 8:59 am:
Let bring up immediately that I am Catholic, please do not attack me immediately. But I would like to bring in a new subject if that is alright. I'm honestly not in interest to bringing these rights to reality. However, truth be told, I'm indifferent to their choices. I understand one can't easily control their desires. If this is what they wish let them find whom they choose. I would just like to bring up the fact that I'm not exactly happy with some activists t... (more »)

Anonomous replied...
Jul. 21 at 2:50 am :
You are right. They attack Catholics, ( born and raised Catholic myself) and some churches force opinions onto their followers. The thing that still stands is that we all sin differently, whether you believe we were born this way or not, we all sin in our own ways and God, ( or whomever you believe in)  still loves us, and that he forgives us. He created us this way, and he knew how we were supose to be before we were to be.  Love is love. Lets all just accept eachothers differences ... (more »)

Critter10 said...
Liz (May I call you that?..), this article is great and I'm glad I discovered it. Love is love and if that love happens to occur between people of the same gender then so what? It is still a beautiful thing, to see or feel a bond between two people, the connection, emotions, etc. all which describe the undescribable emotion of love.

savetheplanetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm :
Yes of course you may call me Liz, it's my ti name. It just gets annoying after a while I guess for people to keep calling me savetheplanet. :) Thank you for the compliments, to me it's just illogical the kinds of arguments that people you to support their continued discrimination.

Steph0804This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 8, 2011 at 7:46 am:

This summarizes your point perfectly! I agree with every word you say!

My mother is Christian, so she thinks being ga.y is a sin, but if God believes that you shouldn't be able to love whoever you want, then God must be cruel.

Sept. 8, 2011 at 7:47 pm :
Thank you so much for the support!  This article has gotten a lot less traffic now that it's been taken down from the front page.  Christianity is made up of people.  And people make mistakes.  So I don't personally believe that Christianity is against g.ays, but there are Christians who think so.

ZeeBYoung said...
Aug. 26, 2011 at 12:37 am:
You, my friend, deserve all the awards for this. :)

Aug. 26, 2011 at 11:23 am :
Oh, thanks so much.  :)  I'm actually quite surprised at the lack of outrage over this article.  So many of the others have gotten a ton of debates going on.

DestineeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's funny to read my arguments thrown back in my face. :) I remember saying some of these. 

And you're a good writer. address the point clearly. 

I do want to point out that the point about STDs is that g.ay people are inherently more likely to get STDs. Nothing to do with "protection".

I also don't think the fact that straight people are promiscuous should be a reason we legalise other immoral things.

And as for morals being differen... (more »)

Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:04 pm :
I agree, it's immoral to hurt yourself.  But they aren't.  We just have to disagree on that.  Straight people being promiscuous, I put that in because I feel that it's hypocritical to say they can't be.  And thank you for the compliments Destinee. :)

DestineeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:05 pm :
Yeah, definitely hypocritical. I agree with that. 

You're welcome. :) I think I'll read some more of your works. :)

Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm :
Yes please do. :D

rightbehindyou61 said...
How I feel about it exactly. The last paragraph especially sums up how I feel.

Aug. 23, 2011 at 6:46 pm :
The last paragraph is pretty much what I think everytime someone says I'm forcing something down their throat.  I really hate that line, forcing it down your throat.  It's become like a thing for the other side to say.  It's very annoying.

Aidyl said...
I completely agree with what you said in this article. I really don't have a problem with people being g.ay. I loved how open-minded you were in this article. Thanks for posting it, I think that they should have put it in the mag. 

Aug. 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm :
Thanks, I kept it open so that anyone could read it.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm so very glad, that you chose to speak out, Liz! It certainly takes courage to do so, and I think it's ridiculous that there is still a need to in the modern world. The Raven simply must thank you for writing this logical and open-minded article.

Aug. 22, 2011 at 8:53 pm :
Aw thanks Raven, I've felt the need to write this article for a while.