Homophobia is Gay | Teen Ink

Homophobia is Gay

By BringLyssaTheHorizon BRONZE, Mosinee, Wisconsin
BringLyssaTheHorizon BRONZE, Mosinee, Wisconsin

In the United States, five percent of males and eleven percent of females identify themselves as homosexual, bisexual, or transgender. According to an anonymous teenager, “People say you’re hiding in a closet. It’s not a closet. It’s sort of like a prison.” In the United States we all say everyone is equal. Then why are some people not treated the same? You may not agree with gay, lesbian, or bisexual youths’ lifestyles, but why should they be treated differently because of it? I believe people should not be bullied for their sexual orientation.

Three gay, lesbian, or bisexual youth, GLB have committed suicide. Lawrence King was thirteen. Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover and Jaheew Heerera were both eleven. Some studies in the 80’s and 90’s say that there is a higher risk for depression, substance abuse, or suicide for GLB. Homosexuality does not cause depression among GLB youth. Negative social environment, personal reactions, and rejection when coming out cause suicidal thoughts or actions.

Homophobia is not necessarily considered a fear of homosexuals, but more known as hatred towards them. Sometimes homophobia is based off of religion. I see many people in our community that have a hatred for homosexuals because of their religion. In Romans 1:27 it says, “And the men instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.” In that verse, it is saying it is sinful to be homosexual. I understand the viewpoint of religious people who think it’s wrong to be homosexual. That is what causes many cases of homophobia. For people who are homophobic based on their religion remember what the bible says in James 4:11-12. “Don’t speak evil against each other, dear brothers and sisters. If you criticize and judge each other, then you are criticizing and judging God’s law. But your job is to obey the law, not to judge whether it applies to you. God alone, who gave the law, is the Judge. He alone has the power to save or destroy. So what right do you have to judge your neighbor?” If you are being homophobic because of Romans 1:27, don’t you think you are sinning according to James 4:11-12? ( Beautiful Everyday Holy Bible, 857, 932)

From the article Coming Out in Middle School it says, “In a 2007 survey of six hundred twenty-six gay, bisexual, and transgender middle school students from across the country by the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network GLESN, eighty-one percent reported being regularly harassed on campus because of their sexual orientation. Another thirty-nine percent reported physical assaults. Of the students who told administrators about the bullying, only twenty-nine percent said it resulted in effective intervention.” (Denizet – Meisels, 1) There are school groups out there to help prevent harassment, also known as Gay-Straight Alliance GSA. There are about only one hundred twenty middle schools across the country have them. Unfortunately, bullying will always be a result of differences in school. The good news is about the “It Gets Better Project.” It is a website where you can view or post videos that state that life gets better after high school for gay youth. People who have experienced or witnessed homophobia tell GLB youth in middle or high school to not do anything drastic such as attempt suicide. According to the It Gets Better website, ever since the project started calls to their suicide hotline have increased over fifty percent. There are GLB youth out there who think there is no way they will be accepted, but it is our job to tell them one thing. It gets better.

A young man in an interview says, “Having your sexuality questioned is a very powerful tool. It’s so easy to control somebody by questioning something that they don’t know, by making fun of something they can’t help.” I believe people should not be judged because of their sexual orientation. People can’t choose their sexuality. They can’t help who they were meant to be. We may all be different, but in the end we are all equal. There is no way we can stop bullying. The only way we can help is by supporting our GLB youth no matter what. Rey, a transgender adult who was harassed in high school, says, “I’m definitely thankful for my friends. They’re my support system. They’ve stuck with me through the whole way.” ( Straightlaced, 2)

I think people being judged for their sexual orientation is wrong. I also believe that after reading my article you will have a different view point.

Honestly, It all depends. I consider myself a christian yet, I do not believe homosexuality is a sin. People can believe anything. Instead of asking me that question, you should probably ask yourself because we might have different viewpoints. You just have to believe in what you want and follow what you say!

Thanks for the great review! I'm just trying to get my opinion out there, and get people to think about what they say about homosexuality. I will read your article. Thanks again!

julian GOLD said...
on Jul. 18 2011 at 10:35 am
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

Definitely. Most definitely. I think that people who hate gays or lesbians are just ignorant. They probably have no idea that these wonderful people are normal in every way except for their sexual orientation. Your article is awesome! You share your ideas in a thoughtful manner, while stating your opinion strongly. Then you follow up with numerous examples to support your opinion. Great job! Also, I am looking for some feedback on an article I wrote called "Today I Think I Will...Create A Universe" in which I expand on my idea of the universe. Its pretty "out there" but I'm looking for people to share my ideas with and see if others agree. Thanks!

on Jul. 14 2011 at 5:57 am
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

Just a question, according to Romans, it is a sin to be homo?