Same Sex Marriage | Teen Ink

Same Sex Marriage

By Shrien PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
Shrien PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"When one door closes, another one opens"

Love. It’s the word the world has tried for many years to build its foundation on. Kisses, hugs, presents, laughs, smiles. Sometimes all these things come from love. Men love women; women love men, then how come the same sex can’t love each other? They are human beings, aren’t they? For those who are homophobic, think again. Just like if you were to kiss your boyfriend, your girlfriend, wife, husband, or even your mother, your expressing love. No matter what gender, you can care for them and wish the best for them. Gays and lesbians aren’t any different. They find their sex more attractive, so what? If they feet a different way, what’s the big deal? There are many people who like the same gender as their own, such as, Ellen DeGeneres, Neil Patrick Harris, Wanda Sykes, Lindsay Lohan, Rosie O’ Donnell, and so much more. They have affected the world with their own touch of acting, humor, and individuality. If you were in their place, would you like it if people discriminated against you?

40% of people would not mind if same-sex marriage was legal, while a chunk of 55% do. Most of the people who are younger then 19 would go in favor of gay marriages, while those older oppose it. Not allowing same sex marriage would be defying the rights of those who are homosexual. It is form of segregation, and disregards the constitution, that says, “Every man is equal.” This is now thought of “Every man AND women is equal” so how come not homosexuals? Homosexuals serve no threat or downside to society. People who are comfortable getting married don’t think of hurting people, they think are expressing love and being able to share it with their family and friends without being discriminated against. Actually, homosexuals can bring a positive side to society. 20,000 kids are being added to lists of foster home every single year, and to be able to protect and care for these kids, the government must give $22 billion to foster care, which is a large chunk of money America can’t afford during these economical times. Since homosexuals cannot physically have a child, many are willing to adopt from these foster homes, deducting the kids left alone, and the money the Government must give.

So I ask you one simple question, is love something that is a prize only some can win? Or is love something you can gain by respect, time, and integrity? Can only one section of the world live with love while the other suffers with discrimination, segregation, and hate? African Americans, Hispanics, and other cultures fought their way through discrimination to get where they are now. To have just as much rights as any other American, even if some are still stereotyped today, 100 years ago, these rights were unimaginable. So take a step back and open your eyes. What if you loved someone, not caring the gender or the look, but the actual character inside? What if people gave you dirty looks and thought of you poorly just because of the choice of your heart? How would you like it? I bet you wouldn’t like it at all.

Homosexuals are people too, they should not be separated like laundry colors!!!!

on Feb. 26 2011 at 8:25 pm
Shrien PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

Thanks! :) It's nice to see someone agree with me once in a while!! :) and deffinetly, homosexuals should be treated like everyone else!! :) 

on Feb. 26 2011 at 1:28 pm
i agree with you 100%! I'm glad you got some great statistics to back up your point. i'm sick of the homophobes ruining everyone's fun. Let the gays marry! If we can, why can't they? Thanks for writing this!

on Feb. 25 2011 at 5:14 pm
Shrien PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

Thanks! :)

sanra SILVER said...
on Feb. 25 2011 at 2:52 pm
sanra SILVER, Far Rockaway, New York
that's a good point, about the foster homes.